Can you understand this? Board of Alabama re this programRegister Today!
- by snowiebella Sep 7, '10Hi everyone,
I am an LPN in Alabama and went to our board of nursing today online to see if there was anything saying we could'nt use Excelsior College to get our RN. I found the following message on their site and its confusing. Anyone from Alabama taking the Nursing program? Or that may know more about it? Thank you also for all your posts everyone, they help so much when you first get started. Have a great day.
From Alabama Board of Nursing per their site.
"Q. I am an Excelsior Graduate. Am I eligible for licensure by Endorsement?
A. Excelsior’s one day or one weekend of testing is not clinical and does not meet our requirements. You would have to demonstrate that you meet the requirements for Alabama, which includes theory and clinical in adult, maternal-child and psychiatric nursing. Each applicant is reviewed individually. We do not prescreen so we can not tell in advance if you will meet the requirements or not. You would need to supply a copy of your LPN transcript (if applicable) and work experience as a way to demonstrate that you meet the requirements."
Ps, do I have any options?, am a single mom and this would really help.
Last edit by snowiebella on Sep 7, '10
- Sep 7, '10 by smitty10"You would need to supply a copy of your LPN transcript (if applicable) and work experience as a way to demonstrate that you meet the requirements."
I'm not from Alabama, but it sounds like to me, you should get an Official Transcript from your LPN school of nursing, and get copies of your resume, or if you could, get copies of your work evaluations, and submit those along with your application to the BON for their review.
Are you thinking of enrolling to EC, or are you already in the program? I know the EC website does have a section regarding those couple of states that special requirements must be met.
Hope this helps!
- Sep 7, '10 by TashaLPN2006RN2012also that question is about ENDORSEMENT into AL NOT Examination by alabama, so you may need to find out if they allow you to take the NCLEX-RN in alabama as well...Lunah will have the link to all the states if she gets on here! =)
this is the link from excelsior college website that has the extra stipulations in some states for the rn licensure.
it looks like if your lpn program had rotations in med-surg, ob, and psych you would be fine.
- Sep 7, '10 by snowiebellaThank you everyone. Ok please dont think this an odd question but we have been considering moving to Alaska (been there love it). Has anyone from Alaska used this program? I will also look at their BON. I am an Lpn but haven"t worked but a year as a nurse. They are phasing out a lot of our Lpns here so want to go for my Rn. Ideas about how to go about this? Bless you and thanks so much for taking your time to help me figure this out.
- Quote from nursecubanitarn2bthanks for your support of excelsior college.sighhhhh, why are more states not accepting excelsior? this is irritating as a school that has won nursing awards and has produced excellent nurses are being banned basically.
i believe only california and maryland are the ones who won't license ec rn after their deadline. the other states will let you endorse in after x amount of rn hours. so that is not bad. i just have to make sure i don't move to cali or maryland.
i have no idea why some states have problems with an ec grad. i think ec used to accept cnas, mas, emt (basic), or pretty much anybody in the rn program so that may have started all this. i don't know i am not sure. even if, these people took the same nursing exams, cpne, and nclex-rn and passed. so that must mean something.
- Sep 7, '10 by NurseCubanitaRN2bAccording to the CA BRN, they stated that they will accept them on a case by case basis, which to me is soooooo vague. If CA would put up on their website sample cases that have passed their approval then that would help so much. I'm very disciplined when it comes to online education. CA has their panties in a wad over the clinical hours. Geez, I have experience as a LVN and also I'm willing to do some sort of preceptorship just so I can qualify to take the exam.
Welll since you're in Alabama, I hope you can find some sort of way to get licensed in your state. Good Luck!
- Quote from nursecubanitarn2bi am not in alabama, the op is. :daccording to the ca brn, they stated that they will accept them on a case by case basis, which to me is soooooo vague. if ca would put up on their website sample cases that have passed their approval then that would help so much. i'm very disciplined when it comes to online education. ca has their panties in a wad over the clinical hours. geez, i have experience as a lvn and also i'm willing to do some sort of preceptorship just so i can qualify to take the exam.
welll since you're in alabama, i hope you can find some sort of way to get licensed in your state. good luck!
the garden state (nj) has no problem with ec so i am lucky.
i know we are lpns/lvns and we did actual nursing clinicals in med-surge, ob, psych, peds, and geriatrics. what else do they want?
edit: oh case by case basis my as* with california. i think they will just take my money and tell me haha i got your money, denied!!