LPN license with a felony chargeRegister Today!
- by frail316 Apr 14, '10I need advice on what to do. I have court tomorrow and most likely I will have a felony charge (drug possession) against me as the first thing on my clean (not anymore) criminal background. Currently I have a LPN license. Anybody have any idea what my chances are for employment in the state of Illinois? I will begin the expungement process, but that takes about a year from what I hear before it all goes through. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
- Apr 14, '10 by TheCommuterquestions we seem to be encountering more and more often have to do with the effects of a criminal history on nursing licensure:
- is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a criminal history?
- is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a dui or other related charges?
- what happens if you are charged or convicted of a crime after licensure?
- can i go to nursing school and/or be licensed if my record has been sealed or expunged?
these are questions that the members of www.allnurses.com cannot answer. the only reliable source of information is your state board of nursing.
please refer to this thread for other information:
nursing licensure with a criminal history
- Apr 14, '10 by bunsterjWould it help to go through a drug treatment program? I know of a few nurses (In Illinois)who were rehired after undergoing a program...I don't recall them having felony charges against them.
- Apr 14, '10 by bunsterjThis has some information about the Peer Assistance Network for Nurses:
- Apr 16, '10 by Shadownurse1543Do not quote me but a "charge" can be expunged in the State of Illinois. A felony conviction cannot.
People tend to misunderstand what the expunged process is. It is to clean your records of arrests, non-convictions in the State of Illinois. You can write to the Govenor after so many years and ask him to remove it from your record, but they rarely do as it makes them seem like they are soft on crimes.
Good luck and I hope no conviction happens.
- Apr 19, '10 by nursesterwhat happen at court?
- Apr 20, '10 by Shadownurse1543I have not had court yet to remove the arrest (Expunge). That takes about 6 months, but I am working on it.
I panicked for nothing. I sent the information they requested and the BON sent me my license. I am officially a LPN.
I still am going to get it Expunged as I hate having something like this on my record, but I am happy to say that I did NOT lie on any document ....what a relief!
Who knew an arrest would do all of this damage?
Thank you for your support. Now I am looking for a job.
- Oct 25, '10 by NASooN2NRS11ShadowNurse How long did it take for you to receive you license once you sent out the required documents here in illinois?
- Oct 25, '10 by Shadownurse1543After I sent in all of the required documents (which took a couple of weeks to get), I got my license within a few days (maybe about 7).
I will be sitting for my RN in a couple of months. Now will be the test if my expungement was actually completed. It is a very strange process, all done by mail.