I just accepted an offer but I have another interview tomorrow

  1. 0
    Not sure if I should still go to the interview tomorrow.

    I'm a new grad that wants to work psych. I had already accepted a PRN position at a small child/teen behavioral health facility a few weeks ago. Its not full time hours though so I was delighted to get a call on Monday from one of the larger private psych hospitals that I really want to work at to schedule an interview for Thursday. The next day, I got a call from the State Psych Hospital that I did my clinical rotation and they scheduled an interview for Friday.

    I just got back from my interview today and was offerred the position at the private psych hospital. I am delighted. It seems like an awesome opportunity, even though they are actually paying less than my PRN position.


    My dilemma now is, I am not sure if I should still go to the interview at the State Hospital tomorrow since I accepted the offer today at the private hospital.

    The pros if I get the State job are:

    Its closer to home. I can get there in about 20 mins or less.
    However, the private hospital is not that far anyway. I can get there in about 30-35 mins.
    I do believe the State hospital pays a bit more than the private hospital. Imagine that! Its not by much though.

    I like the idea of being able to move within the State system. If at some point I don't want to do inpatient care, I could transfer to one of the outpatient clinics or community programs.
    (This is what I've heard, I don't know that to be officially true)

    The Cons if I get the State job:
    When I did my psych rotation there, they were EXTREMELY understaffed. There was usually only 1 RN there the whole shift on our unit and she was a new grad and was the Charge nurse.
    Most days there was only 1 other LPN there with the RN. Some days 2 LPNs.She did the med passes and the RN pretty much ran the ship though she did do a lot of teaching. During my rotation there, my CI said at the time, that she did not think this was an ideal place to start for a new grad. She did not think there was sufficient support for the new grad nurse we encountered. But this is based on an outsider looking in and my psych rotation was the shortest of all rotations so I'm not sure that we got an accurate picture.

    I feel really good about the private hospital. They do a lot to mentor and orient their new grads. I met a few nurses that graduated from my school years ago and have been there for a few years and love it there.

    I guess I just don't want to be wondering "what if?". If I cancel the interview for tomorrow or turn down their offer, or vice versa think their offer is better and then having to go back and decline the offer for the private facility.

    Geez, after all the weeks of searching, I never expected to have this dilemma.

    Thoughts? Should I cancel the interview tomorrow?
  2. 5 Comments so far...

  3. 0
    Go on the interview unless you are totally sure about the other job. If you are considering the state job, it seems you might want the option of working at the state job. Most employers are at will, meaning that you or the company can end the employment for any time for any reason with or without notice. Thus, unless you signed an employment contract, you will not be legally liable for resiging or rescinding your acceptance. I'd therefore go on the interview and see how you feel. I'm in a similar boat. I've accepted a job out of state that I will likely go and I began training for an on call/as needed job in my home state and have yet to resign just in case somthing fell through at the last minute. I will feel terrible resiging after they invested in training me, but I have to realize that the position was on call without benifits. If I had resigned earlier and something happened at the job of choice, I would have to keep the job I have now out of need for work. I have to pay bills. So I'm having to look at it like a business venture, sometimes those types of things happen so that we can do whats best for us professionally and financially. It's not ideal and feels lousy but you've got to look out for yourself and your own best interests and as long as your not breaking a contract, try not to feel obligated to keep something that's not in your best interest.
  4. 0
    Take the private hospital. I had a similar quandry but with medical surgical nursing. Do NOT mess with understaffing. It can make or break you and affects patient safety. Good luck and remember to follow your heart.
  5. 0
    If you knew you had two interviews back to back the smart thing to do (remember this for the future) would be to tell the private hospital that you would like to take the weekend to think about their offer and get back to them on Monday. That gives you time to go to the other interview with your options open and see what they have to offer.

    It sounds like you think the private hospital is the better job anyway. You can always decline an offer from the state hospital IF you get one. It's better to keep the interview and decline the offer than it is to cancel the interview the morning before it's scheduled. Canceling the interview so soon before it's scheduled suggests you don't appreciate the offer or respect the schedule of the interviewer enough to give adequate notice. Go to the interview and if an offer follows, politely decline it. If you get an offer at the interview, ask to think about it over the weekend and then politely decline on Monday, if that's what you want to do.
  6. 0
    Thanks for your responses.
    Ashley, I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. I thought about that as soon as I left the building, that maybe I should have asked for time to think it over.
    I went to the other interview today. No offer was made. They said a decision could be made as soon as Monday or it may take up to two weeks. I don't know if I interviewed well or not, I'm thinking not. But I'm glad I went because it was a tough interview. It was a panel interview and I felt like I was on a firing squad. I did my best but it was very different from the other interviews I had. The other interviews asked the general interview questions, asked about psych meds, psych emergencies and so forth. I was well prepared for those kinds of interviews. This was very different, nothing psych related. It was all about tell me about a time when....
    So in the end I am glad I went, never hurts as a new grad to get interviewing experience.
  7. 0
    Quote from mangopeach
    thanks for your responses.
    ashley, i will definitely keep that in mind for the future. i thought about that as soon as i left the building, that maybe i should have asked for time to think it over.
    i went to the other interview today. no offer was made. they said a decision could be made as soon as monday or it may take up to two weeks. i don't know if i interviewed well or not, i'm thinking not. but i'm glad i went because it was a tough interview. it was a panel interview and i felt like i was on a firing squad. i did my best but it was very different from the other interviews i had. the other interviews asked the general interview questions, asked about psych meds, psych emergencies and so forth. i was well prepared for those kinds of interviews. this was very different, nothing psych related. it was all about tell me about a time when....
    so in the end i am glad i went, never hurts as a new grad to get interviewing experience.
    in the end you will do what you think best, but i agree with you...going to that second interview was a great learning experience regardless of the outcome. you can always ask for more time on the first if you can, but don't sweat it too much. your not the first, nor will you ever be the last to question whether to accept an offer over another lol. it's actually a good position to be in nowadays.

    good luck and let us know how it goes :-)


Top