Taxes in Canada for nursesRegister Today!
- by stacie_pen7 Jul 3, '12Hi,
I was told yesterday that a nurse working full time only makes marginally more than a nurse working a 0.8 part time, due to differences in tax brackets (in Canada).
However, I was just told by someone not in the nursing field that this is an incorrect statement.
I was wondering if it has anything to do with nursing unions and that's why the person not in the nursing field thought I was wrong, or if the nurse that told me you can make the same working a 0.8 as a full time was wrong.
I'm just confused and trying to figure out whether to work full time or 0.8, because if I can make the same working a 0.8 as I could full time, then I would probably do that!
- Jul 3, '12 by Silverdragon102Moved to the Canadian forum
I have always worked full time and to be honest haven't really discussed pay difference between full and part timers but I do know I get paid more than my manager
- Jul 3, '12 by janfrnYou don't MAKE as much as a full time nurse. But you do take home (get to keep) a bit more of the money you do make. I wouldn't say that the scales are perfectly balanced, but it's close.
- Jul 3, '12 by loriangel14The amount of taxes paid has nothing to do with the union.
- Jul 3, '12 by itsmejuliWhat irritates me is how taxes are applied per pay check. I got whacked with taxes on overtime and stat holiday pay and then when I filed my tax return I got that money back without interest.
I'm sure you can do the tax calculations yourself if you know your base pay.
- Jul 3, '12 by loriangel14Overtime isn't worth it.You lose so much of it to taxes.
- Jul 3, '12 by Fiona59Quote from loriangel14Don't take your OT on the cheque. AHS lets us bank it. I take mine out in chunks when I don't pick up shifts. That is when it is taxed. So I wait until I know I'mm having a small cheque and then pull out 4 or 5 days banked OT.Overtime isn't worth it.You lose so much of it to taxes.
- Jul 4, '12 by loriangel14I can't bank it.Only full timers can.
- Jul 4, '12 by Fiona59Our contract lets part timers bank. Casuals have to take in cash.