The Stumblebutt Chronicles - page 2
by VivaLasViejas 7,695 Views | 21 Comments Guide
To say that I loathe the 0900 med pass at my SNF would be the understatement of the year. First of all, being able to concentrate on the pass itself is impossible in the face of almost constant interruptions, and with my... Read More
- 8Sep 15, '13 by VivaLasViejas GuideAnd the dropsies continue......today I knocked over a half-full can of Diet Mountain Dew at the nurses' desk, and dropped an entire cup of pills during the 0900 med pass. ~sigh~ At least it wasn't fish oil! By the time I got to work this morning, everyone had heard the story and poked fun at me all day....and yes, the MAR book still smells like a cannery. SMH.
- 2Sep 15, '13 by pinkiepieRNMy day wasn't quite as bad, though I often get covered in fish oil after I've pricked the capsule. Today I spilled a full cup of water right in front of my cart, spilled a carton of fingerstick stickers and I seriously just had the "dropsies"!
- 2Sep 16, '13 by motherof3sonsOh my! I can so relate. I was returning residual on my tube fed resident and something happened, syringe slipped and I sprayed residual all over the wall, CD player, TV screen and there was only 15 cc of it......how does so little go so far???
- 0Sep 16, '13 by sunmaidlizI'm surprised she didn't get fired. I would have gotten fired for that at my last LTC facility. THey fired me for A WHOLE lot less. A g-tube started coming out of the wrong port and I blocked it closed with my thumb, my GLOVED thumb, and unfortunately, the family was there, complained to the boss. Got fired for 4 hours unauthorized overtime but the dumb boss didn't realize, forgot, or was using it as an excuse to fire me since that overtime was when I stayed late when someone called off ON MOTHERS DAY. I HATE LTC. Or maybe I just hated my last facility. Well, I liked the facility. I hated my boss. I think she knew it and that's why she found an excuse to get rid of me.
- 1Sep 16, '13 by silverbatI call that type of day as "the dropsies". Hate hate hate those days!! I have had the pill crushers slippery envelope mess, and added to it the gazillion souffle-type paper med cups I knocked over trying to NOT knock over the envelopes.... Took me forever to pick em up!! I have done the GT sploosh as well, and had a resident cough while gt open... ugh... for some reason gastric contents/tube feeding expand greatly on contact with the air!!!
Hope your dropsies stop for tomorrow! Keep on writing!!!!
- 3Sep 16, '13 by WAheartnurseJust remember folks that excessive dropping of items and tripping over things etc etc and general increase in clumsiness can be signs of more serious problems. I knew a friends grown son that had myasthenia gravis and one of the first signs was increased clumsiness (and voice change and fatigue). I think being a nurse though makes me think everyone I meet has some underlying disease LOL.
- 4Sep 17, '13 by VivaLasViejas GuideThank you for that thought. You are certainly right in that decreased coordination can mean something sinister may be going on. But you needn't worry about me, at least: I've been tripping over smoke and knocking over stuff since I learned to walk.
- 1Oct 5, '13 by HappyWife77I think I take care of the same patient who "harangues you twenty minutes saying his doctor is trying to kill him with all these pills". LOL!!! I agree some of the amounts of medications residents are prescribed are astronomical! They give a pill FOR EVERYTHING....