Forced ultrasounds - page 5
by nurse2033 10,464 Views | 78 Comments
Has anyone been following this? Virginia just passed a law that requires any woman who wishes an abortion must have an ultrasound (and pay for it) prior to the abortion. Since most of these are done prior to 12 weeks that means... Read More
- 9Feb 24, '12 by dzadzeyThis is just another case of the religious right trying to give their narrow, absolutists and distorted interpretation of religious dogma the full weight and force of law.They fail to appreciate the irony, let alone the hypocrisy then, of claiming their religious freedoms are being infringed upon by rules giving women the same access to contraception men have to medication for erectile dysfunction. Perhaps men, especially politicians trying to restrict women's access to contraception and safe...legal abortion, should undergo a cystoscopy before getting their prescription. And yes, I'm a man.
- 1Quote from 33762FLSome of those morons in VA are now claiming they "Didn't know" what a transvaginal ultrasound was. However, during the discussions of the bill, a Democratic member of the legislature, who is an MD, explained it fully.Here's a link:
The ultrasound must be by vaginal probe, not a pelvic ultrasound, as per the law. The vaginal probe ultrasound would be mandatory before an abortion - meaning that if the patient doesn't consent to the vaginal probe, they can't get an abortion in Virginia.
- 7Feb 25, '12 by dishesQuote from MN-NurseMaybe the VA politicians should be required to have a trans-rectal ultrasound prior to voting on the legislation.Some of those morons in VA are now claiming they "Didn't know" what a transvaginal ultrasound was. However, during the discussions of the bill, a Democratic member of the legislature, who is an MD, explained it fully.
- 2Feb 27, '12 by nicurn001I always thought we used the least invasive intervention in all procedures , so it is perfectly legitimate to assess the gestational age of the fetus , but by mandating by law the transvaginal US , listening to the fetal heartbeat etc. is bordering upon rape and torture .
To force anyone for any reason to undergo an unnecessary procedure is NOT good healthcare ! .
- 0Feb 27, '12 by VioletKaliLPNto determine gestational age because if it's past a certain amount of time it's illegal to perform an elective abortion.
this is currently considered standard procedure prior to an abortion. all women have an u/s prior to an abortion. what they do not get is a play by play ultrasound with added info, such as heart beat.
an u/s has to be done, otherwise they would not know gestation, or whether or not it was abnormal or ectopic.
they want a "play by play" ultrasound performed, which is typically given to women who are carrying a wanted pregnancy and care about the details.
- 4Feb 28, '12 by brainkandy87Ah, the religious right, how I love thee. Seeing as how they deny so many basic and widely accepted scientific theories, I'm surprised they even consider ultrasound a real scientific tool and not some ominous tool of the devil.
But seriously, it baffles me how ridiculous things are getting with women's reproductive rights. Forcing a transvaginal US onto a woman for electing to have a legal procedure? Makes total sense.