Check out those veins! - Page 2Register Today!
- Apr 10, '02 by ChristenLPNDespite being a very attractive man, my husband has recieved the ultimate compliment from only me- he has the most gorgeous garden hose veins you'd ever hope to feel! He will also ask me when we go out to keep my opinions on the veins of others to myself. Does this say addict to any of you?
- Apr 10, '02 by hapeewendyI'm not a vascular nurse but hell I check out ppls veins all the time!
I also try to figure out what secret illnesses they may have and alla that morbid stuff
you can take me away from my work
but something medical will always follow me
the other day I said to myself "wow I'd be okay if I ever needed an IV in my foot, look at this mother of a vein!" sad thing was, It excited me
*hangs head in shame*
- Apr 10, '02 by zumalongI have been a vein person since 1988 when I started my first IV. I have been known to go to the gym just to find the weight lifters to see those bad boys pop up. (hubby doesnt believe about the reason I stare tho.)
I must admit I tried a 16 gauge on a huge sucker (the vein not the patient) It was not fun, it was sticking as I was inserting (best way I can describe). It was like fingernails on a chalk board--won't do that large a gauge anymore.
- Apr 10, '02 by CATHYWAny ER nurse worth her salt. I am appalled at very obese people (I am obese, but you can see my huge veins!) with so much padding the angio couldn't get through, those with really tough-looking skin, and very slender, cachetic-looking people. My brain is always looking for alternative sites, same with babies.
How about this one, and 'fessup, now-
The huge man (or woman) that you know somebody is going to have to be doing ineffectual chest compressions on (as they sweat bullets from the exertion) in the ER someday? Those really make my hair stand on end!
- Apr 10, '02 by headgearanother guilty party-my girlfriend dosen't seem to mind though-just acts a little puzzled.
- Apr 10, '02 by Marj GriggsOH, yeah--guilty, even though I haven't worked in acute care for about 3 years!
- Apr 10, '02 by susanmaryI'm laughing out loud. OK -- no nurse's anonymous for me (today at least!!!) I do love checking out veins, though!
- Apr 11, '02 by P_RNOh YEAH. Particularly my Hubby's in Church or even when I roll over in bed and hold his hand.
B I G old juicy ones!
- Apr 11, '02 by shannonRNi always compliment my fiancee on his veins. of course, he just says "ok honey" with a puzzled look on his face. well, a couple of weeks ago, we went to dinner with a two of my nursing friends and one of them turned to him and said, "oh my god, your veins are huge." he turned to me and said, "ok, maybe you aren't as strange as i thought!!" :roll
- Apr 11, '02 by judy annWOW!!! VEINS!!! Yes, I love those bouncy little hoses. Just today I was skimming through a magazine, and spotted an absolutely gorgeous hunk. The first thing I admired were the veins in his left forearm. (I quickly moved on to other assets) I, of course would have much prefered to have him in the flesh and --blood--And you are right, those athletes sure do have good veins! Stick right out there. When I get bored, I practice palpating on the back of my left hand. Got a good one there!--- I have been known to open a conversation with a strange guy by tapping on a vein and complimenting him on them. Oh, we nurses are strange folks, are we not. You know, if the general public read this , they would really worry about all of us.Last edit by judy ann on Apr 11, '02