AMA DischargesRegister Today!
- by catlover314 Oct 10, '12Has anyone noticed an uptick in parents seeking discharge Against Medical Advice?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=791462©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,684 Views
- Oct 12, '12 by karnicurncWow, no. That is scary!
- Oct 13, '12 by OKinOKCAt my facility this tends to be directly related to the discontinuation of IV pain meds for pts with mysterious conditions for which the docs can find no cause. It also tends to be related to our refusal to allow pts on pain meds to go off property to smoke.
- Oct 13, '12 by sckimrnWe see our fair share of them on the floor I work on. It's usually related to them not being able to leave the floor to go smoke. It insane how mad a person who was admitted with chest pain r/o ACS can get when you tell them that they cannot leave the floor to smoke.
- Oct 13, '12 by mortefellow posters please note, this is in the nicu forum....
- Oct 13, '12 by babyRN.Haven't heard anything lately, but that's pretty odd!Last edit by babyRN. on Oct 13, '12
- Oct 13, '12 by umcRNwell not in the nicu, but I had a mother in the picu threaten to leave with her elementary school aged child (who had not yet stood up since OPEN HEART surgery), who still had bilateral chest tubes, oxygen, a morphine PCA and who had just been extubated a mere 12 hours previous all because they were going to a semi private room on our step down unit. Now there are 6 semi private rooms on this particular acute care unit, the whole hospital was busting at the seams, and this mother was upset that her child was the ONLY sick child who was going to have to share a room. Because we keep all our healthy kids inpatient and in private rooms
This escalated past the attending, social work & clinical supervisors to the AD & security.
Outcome? Kid went to the floor and had a roommate. (but mom did have all the AMA paperwork brought to her and discussed)
and in any case now that I think about it, I did have a family in the nicu threaten to leave AMA. Kid wouldn't have made it down the hall w/o her nitric & inotropes though so not sure what mom thought she was going to do
- Oct 14, '12 by Bortaz, RNWe've had several in my NICU threaten to move their baby to a competing hospital. They always change their mind when told that Medicare/aid won't pay the $10000 it'll cost to transport the baby on a voluntary transport and that it'll come out of pocket prior to transport.
- Oct 17, '12 by karnicurncIsn't a shame they have to pay for something out of pocket that is completely unnecessary?! *eye roll* I have never seen them go through with it either.
- Oct 18, '12 by NicuGalOnly a few have had their kids transferred. If they hate it in our unit so much, let them go so all of us aren't miserable.