banana bagRegister Today!
- by EricTAMUCC-BSN Jul 5, '03What is a banana bag?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=39695©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 91,442 Views
- Jul 5, '03 by neneRNA bag of IV fluids containing MVI (this is what makes the fluid yellow, hence the term "banana" bag)-we hang these on alcoholic pts coming into the ER and they usually also contain thiamine, folic acid, and sometimes Mag Sulfate.
- Jul 5, '03 by EricTAMUCC-BSNwhat is MVI?
- Jul 5, '03 by neneRNsorry, multi-vitamins.Severe alcoholics tend to drink more than they eat so a banana bag is an attempt to replenish nutritional deficiencies.
- Jul 5, '03 by 2ndCareerRNAlso sometimes known as a Rally Pack,
MultiVitamin 10ml....gives the distinctive yellow color
Folic Acid 1mg
Some facilities also add Mag Sulfate to the mix.
All mixed in 1L normal saline.
Used in cases of malnutrition, undernutrition, and alcoholics to plump them up and get some vitamins into them.
- Jul 5, '03 by live4todayYep! We hang enough banana bags where I work, too!
- Jul 5, '03 by gwenithI have never heard it called that!!
Sings "the Banana Bag" song
or perhaps it is the effect of too much night duty.....
- Jul 5, '03 by live4todaygwenith......I loved that song! I sang it all the way to the end. Made me feel like I was on an Island somewhere far away!
- Jul 6, '03 by pickledpepperRNPerfect song for a night nurse who hangs banana bags.
- Jul 6, '03 by EricTAMUCC-BSNnever heard of the banana bag song!! haha, thanks yall.