K pack??Register Today!
- by deelyn4 Dec 26, '08I hope this isn't a stupid question... but a dr ordered a k pack bid on a patient I was discharging today.
I have searched the internet and can't find anything. Does anyone know what a k pack is??
- Dec 26, '08 by MBA2RNHe might've wrote for a "K-pad". It's used in placed of a heating pad, except it uses heated air, and can't burn the patient. I've seen them ordered for patients with muscle pain.
- Dec 27, '08 by morteK pad rang a bell for me as well, but when i searched couldnt find.......and i could see, if it were hand written that you could mistake K-pads for K-packs
- Dec 27, '08 by deelyn4Yeah, it could have been k-pad... Do they make k-pads to be used at home? Or are they specific to hospital settings??
- Dec 27, '08 by iluvivtYears ago I would see this as an order for KCL in a powder form and the bid component would lead me to believe this is a medication order....of course the easy solution is to just call the MD and seek clarification of the order. I do not think they are requesting a K-pad...as a pt would just use a regular heating pad on a low setting.......I used to work for a huge DME Co. and we did not rent out K-pads.
- Dec 28, '08 by deelyn4I know to call the doc...but it was a situation where the doc did the discharge instructions with the patient. I was looking through the paperwork after patient was gone. I saw on the copy of the med list for the patient to continue what looked to be "k pack twice a day". I was just looking for information to see what that actually was.
- Jan 3, '09 by mcknisQuote from ghillbertThis should be taught in Med school, but don't think it is. We have one doc in particular that we feel didn't passed K-12 basic speeling, but was somehow able to pass med school. Over edumacated ediot we beelieve (all mistakes meant to show common mistakes made by this specific MD). He, in particular, becomes very upset when calls are made to seek clarification of orders, but when I am uncertain, I will definitely call. Have been chewed out royally many times because i have called for a clarification, when no one else wanted to call. I can't wait until all orders are typed per MDs!...It needs to be clear and unambiguous. Call the doctor...
- Jan 11, '09 by nrsang97I wish they had to type all orders. That would save a lot of time and effort.
- Jan 11, '09 by kermitladyCould his Z just looked like a K? The only thing I can thing of is a Z-pak.