Can Male RNs get jobs in Maternity Nursing?Register Today!
- by delrepublica1776 Jan 9, '12So anyway, I'm a guy in nursing school, and I'm currently 'undeclared' re: my track for this accelerated MSN program.
Of the tracks I could apply to at my school, I can choose from Adult Health, Public Health, Child Health, and Maternity.
Public Health's pretty interesting, but the words "Adult Health" will make me run for the hills in terror. Pathophysiology is the bane of my existence :/
Starting next week, I'll take my Maternity and Child Health courses. I've heard that the job market's tough for Child Health tracked grads, but it's relatively better for Maternity.
But they only hire women for Maternity nursing, right? Even if the track's administrative, the female patients obviously want a female maternity nurse?
- Jan 10, '12 by ashleyisawesomei know of 3 male rn staff nurses in maternity units in my hospital network alone.. plus 2 that recently did their preceptorship for NS in the maternity unit. its not impossible. it would be illegal to not hire you because you are a man. youd be surprised at how many women DONT care if their L&D nurse is a man. a lot of the OBGYNs are men, so why not the nurses. just be confident and act professional.
- Jan 10, '12 by angelalalaThere's a male midwife in my city. I'd be okay with it. . .there were no male RNs where I delivered, though.
- Jan 14, '12 by bigboiIts rear but and I'm sure they'd rather have a woman. My thing though is alot of women are cool with male OBGYN, but not male nurses who work on a maternity floor. Its a really weird double standard.
- Jan 14, '12 by TheCommuterWhen I was completing my clinical rotations in L&D/Postpartum at a Los Angeles area hospital back in 2005, one of the RNs who worked in the L&D department was a man. According to the other staff members there, none of the birthing mothers has ever rejected him or requested another nurse.
- Jan 15, '12 by bigboikudos to you guys, but it does happen.
- Jan 15, '12 by justmeinlvi am a male nurse and i also would love to be a labor nurse. if you want to do it go for it!