Anyone else feel like they got "shafted" in clinicals?Register Today!
- by forgop Aug 5, '11I'm in my 2nd semester in an accelerated program. I'm the only male in a group of 7 students for our summer rotation of Med/Surg II, Peds, and Maternity. I was literally the "odd man out" when it came to patient assignments the entire summer and put in less favorable experiences. For example, I have classmates who have had 3 births while I've just managed 1 because they would be assigned to the L&D patients most likely to deliver early in the day.
When it came to signing up in the fall, I signed up for a different group that will be 8 people, 4 of which are guys so I won't get screwed like this again.
- Aug 7, '11 by Bob_N_VAIf your clinicals pair you up with somebody else, then yeah, the girls tend to want to pair with girls so with an odd number, you're it. And L&D is the classic male-unfriendly environment, so my perspective is whatever it took to get through it and finish was fine with me. At this stage, we are all on our own, and I have had my share of the interesting patients which is cool. Sometimes it does sorta suck being a guy in a mostly female environment, but other times its fairly cool...
- Aug 9, '11 by Rob72I was probably spoiled with my group, but I was also odd-man out. OTOH, for OB my partner was a mother of two, long-term HC worker, like me, with a very dry sense of humor. Her attitude was, "Its a baby. We're not in high-risk. I have noooo desire to see someone else's hoo-ha."
We saw our two live births w/in 10 minutes of start of shift, and said, great, we're done, let's go get a Coke & do paperwork.
Age and experience makes a difference in your co-worker group, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.
- Aug 10, '11 by puravidaLVfirst off...do you really want to do maternity? Females flock to that job for a reason, ya you missed on an experience, but go to youtube.com and enjoy the wonders of life that way.
As the only guy in my clinical in my ped's rotation I just got teenagers, which worked out since the floor was dead and someone donated an xbox 360 to the floor. Yes, I spent my entire ped's clinical playing xbox for 12 hours.
The girls took care of the babies but other than changing diapers they did nothing else. 80% of the floor was discharged by noon and in the end I was the only one left with something to do.
- Aug 10, '11 by DSaidI remember L&D clinicals. The instructor refused to give me an assignment and i was not allowed to leave the break room till the end of the clinical day. unfair, of course, but i have no interest in working in L&D. then again at that time i had no interest in working in peds... been there for 10 years now.
- Aug 13, '11 by meandragonbrettI saw one vaginal birth and I am good for life! I spent the rest of the clinical just trying to learn from the OBGYNs, the CNMs, and the CRNAs.
- Aug 13, '11 by MrChicagoRNQuote from puravidaLVWhy would that matter?first off...do you really want to do maternity? ...
As students we should all have equal exposure to learning experiences. Men & women take the same boards and are responsible for having the same body of knowledge.
I had the identical clinical experience to everybody else, and as a consumer paying for that clinical education, they had better not have discriminated against me.
- Aug 14, '11 by LPNBearColumbusI was left standing in the hall way while my female classmates were allowed to witness a vaginal birth. BUT, i had a great instructor who noticed that a C-section was about to be done, and she nearly knocked the OBGYN over when she told his she had a male student that needed to observe. 5 minutes later I was scrubbing up, and was the only one in my clinical group to see either A) a c-section, or B) a surgery of any kind.
As the baby was delivered, I assisted the nurse doing the initial new born assessment, and was able to ask her questions that I'm sure a lot of my classmates didn't get to ask.
Sometimes it really does come down to who your teacher is.
- Aug 15, '11 by JonB04Why can't a Guy witness birth ....makes no sense if that happened to me my trade better be unaffected was on omitted from your grade because if it was I wouldn't complain