New to the Forum, Just accepted into LPN program
- 5Jun 12, '12 by drewfus88I have been on this forum for quite a while now to use it as a resource or to just read other peoples posts. I just got accepted into a nursing school in St. Louis and will be getting my LPN. just 1 short year and ill be well on my way to my final goals. im planning on getting my ADN and then my BSN. then hopefully continuing my education even further later on down the road. im trying to take it one day at a time but im really stressing about everything. im on my own and have to cover rent and all my bills and everything else. so for me just going to school and not working isnt an option. its just not possible for me. i would appreciate it so much if i could get some advice and some resources/books to help me get a little bit of a head start over the summer before school starts. i was really hoping to enjoy my summer before school runs my life but when i think about it i honestly think i need to get my head in the books or any information i can to gain some extra knowledge. any help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
- 2,717 Visits
- 4Jun 12, '12 by justbarbiI suggest you do not try to get a head start on anything. More than likely anything you read will not go completely with what they teach you in school. Every book is different. Every test is specific to your books. Enjoy the rest of your summer. Even when I got my 1st semester books there was no making heads or tails out of it. They will teach you what you need to know. JMO. Good luck with everything.
- 0Jun 12, '12 by KrissyECongratulations on being accepted! I am currently in an LPN program and I will be graduating in December. The biggest thing I can tell you is pace yourself. Order the books you need now so you can start to get to know the content, but don't do any major work until you know for sure what your instructors are going to cover. This is going to be a frustrating year, but you can do it!
- 1Jun 12, '12 by loriangel14 GuideWelcome to AN!
I would suggest you not worry about studying over the summer. You will learn what you need to know in school.Most of it will not make sense until you get into school. Enjoy your summer and relax.You will have plenty of work to do once school starts.
- 1Jun 12, '12 by VictoriaGayleYes, I start school in July at Garnet in WV.
I agree with what someone said below, any specialized information may not match up with course work..I'd focus on strengthening your basic skills, review high school level work...thats what I'm doing.
Have they given you a books list yet? If so you might be able to get a head start on reading.
We have a break after our first day at school, I plan to use that to do a quick once over of the books we get.
- 0Jun 12, '12 by lisaannjamRNCongratulations and best of luck on your LPN journey!! It will be a challenging and life-changing year. I agree with others here in suggesting you enjoy your Summer and not worry about studying. You will be in the depths of school before you know it. I remember my school telling us to study math as we would have a (general) math test on our first day. Other than that, you will receive your syllabus the first day and you will be off!! Good luck to you!!!