Scope of Practice / Nurse Practice ActRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Scope of Practice / Nurse Practice Act in Indiana Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... What/where is the Nurse Practice Act for Indiana? I am an LPN and I am trying to clearly define my...by xoemmylouox Jun 8, '10What/where is the Nurse Practice Act for Indiana? I am an LPN and I am trying to clearly define my role in my current workplace, however I am not able to find it. I am most interested in the scope of the LPN in Indiana.. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=484414©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 8,578 Views
- Jun 8, '10 by elkparkHave you checked the IN BON website? Usually, all the rules/regs related to nursing practice are posted somewhere on the state's BON website.
- Jun 8, '10 by sunnysideup09Your workplace should have a policy on what an LPN can do. The Nurse practice act is very vague on the roles.
see page 44.
- Mar 20, '12 by hoosier guyi have searched high and low for something spelling out the scope of practice for nurses in indiana. the information i find is very vague. interestingly, the scope of practice for pa’s is clearly defined and spelled out to the letter. i wonder why the law is so ambiguous toward nurses and so clear with pa’s. the only thing that is clear is that apn’s must have a corroboration agreement with physicians and that crna’s must work under the direct supervision of a physician.
- Mar 20, '12 by WhisperaHmmm...I just spent a half hour looking. I found lots of statutes that said what would happen if you didn't follow the rules, but didn't state what the rules are!
- Apr 9, '12 by hoosier guyfor aprn’s i’m guessing the scope of practice would be defined by your collaboration agreement. i have no idea how they determine rns and lpns scope of practice.
- Apr 28, '12 by bstewart40LPN and RN scopes of practice are determined by the facility. That's why some LPNs can hang blood and others can't.
- May 29, '12 by indynurse317If you look in the IAC (Indiana Administrative Code) the scope of nursing for RN's and LPN's are clearly spelled out. I believe the RN practice acts are on page 39 of this code book. The LPN practice acts should be right after that.
- Jul 2, '12 by Bloomgirl118Thanks Indynurse317! I will definitely be checking this out, as I will be a graduating RN next May. :-)
- Jul 10, '12 by dadda11oHere is the link for the 2011 edition of Administrative and Indiana code related to nursing. I have read portions of other states' Nurse Practice Acts and in some respects, I agree, there is a feeling of "vagueness". Although I have heard at times that is "good" because if it is not expressly prohibited by law ...