What is your average visit time?Register Today!
This is a discussion on What is your average visit time? in Hospice Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... I do home hospice and Palliative care, although my agency seems to stick me with all the...by MomRN0913 Jul 30, '12I do home hospice and Palliative care, although my agency seems to stick me with all the palliatives, although hospice is really what I want to do.
Anyways, how long is your average visit? My patients seem to be so complicated, they are averaging 45 min to an hour, with a lot of emotional support.
Am I spending too long? I do an average of 4 visits a day, with what seems to be 2-3 palliative admissions a week. We are all on paper, with extensive charting. I case manage about 12 patients right now.
Trying to figure out if I should really be cutting down my visit time because I am not getting my work done and really, really am sick of taking so much work home.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=764895©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,467 Views
- Jul 31, '12 by caliotter3I was told that 45 minutes is considered to be the average, with 30 minutes being the minimum, for home visits. However, I would be hesitant to cut off visit time for this type of patient unless I could do so politely, without drawing attention to the fact that I'm trying to hurry. I think this is where the employer gets us with home care. They know we will stay to get the job done.
- Aug 4, '12 by mhg28941Our company had a management team come in and talk to us about expectations. Based on their nation wide research 60 minutes was found to be an acceptable visit time for home care visits .
Case load figures were 10 ( acceptable) and 14 (excellent) again this is for patients seen in the home. The Numbers were different for nursing home patients.
- Aug 4, '12 by mhg28941I should also add that our company expects us to do 4 to 5 visits a day and our case load is anywhere from 15 to 20. We also use visit nurses.
- Aug 9, '12 by SweettartRNWe are expected to do 5-6 visits per day and our caseloads are also about 16-22.
Visits last approximately 45 mins to 1 hr.
- Aug 9, '12 by tewdlesAn hour is planned for each visit unless we know there are extenuating circumstances that will require more time.
The expectation in our agency is 5 visits/day for the case manager with a 12 patient case load. All of our patients are in their homes currently. There is only one LTC/SNF in town and we currently provide no care there.
- Aug 18, '12 by ~MIA~Are you doing documentation at the bedside????