HELP! Bombed the HESI Entrance Test
- 1Jan 13, '09 by alphadog0228I took the HESI pre-entrance test today and BOMBED scoring 72.5%. I need a minimum of 77% to even be considered for the program.
I got the Elsevier review book and studied for 10 days. I took the 4 practice tests in the back of the book but I dont think it helped enough. There were questions on the practice tests that were not covered in the review chapters.
I got a 68% on the Math (improper fractions killed me) and had trouble with the Bio section. I did OK on the AP part but there were questions I didnt know even though I studied the review book. I completed AP I this
Fall (got a B+) and I am registered for AP II starting in two weeks. I passed Algebra I and II with a B+.
I am frustrated. I am a 3.6 GPA in the pre-nursing classes, I work a full-time job and a part-time job as a Nurse Assistant in the ER (16 hours a week) to make me more competitive when I apply. I go to school two nights as week to complete the pre-reqs. I am a returning student after 20 years and I truly want to be a nurse. The clinical experience in the ER I love and I have learned a great deal in a short period of time
Does anyone have any advice on how to better prepare for the re-take test? I have two weeks to get ready and this re-take is my last shot for me to apply for the Fall 2009 class. You can only take the test twice in one
Thanks for your help and guidance
- 164,434 Visits
- 3Jan 14, '09 by nrenteriaMake sure you take a breath and take your time when answering the questions. There isn't a time limit on the test. Just relax and make sure you read all the way through the question before you answer it and move onto the next question. Memorize the fractions. I hate fractions and that's what I did to pass with an overall score of 90 on all sections. Good luck on your next attempt!
- 0Jan 15, '09 by ToxicShockI don't know what state you live in (or if it makes a difference), but I was really unhappy with the Elsevier HESI study guide. I don't feel as though it helped me either. If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone!
Now that you already took it one time, you should be able to know what the content will be on for the second time. You said that impropr fractions gave you a problem, so be sure to study those. My HESI didn't have A+P so I'm not sure what advice I can give there.
Best of luck to you!
- 1Jan 15, '09 by CilantrophobeQuote from ToxicShockI completely disagree with this statement. I studied every single page of the study guide (ISBN: 9781416056355) and loved it. I got a 92% overall on the test and did highest on the math portion of the test thanks to the great math section of the book. I did every single practice problem in the book, and kept the book simply because of the math review(I got a 96% on the math portion of the test).I don't know what state you live in (or if it makes a difference), but I was really unhappy with the Elsevier HESI study guide. I don't feel as though it helped me either. If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone!
My advice would be to study everything in the book, not just the practice questions. Everyone I have met at my school, failed because of the vocabulary section of the test. (I got an 88, my lowest score, on that portion of the test)
I am really sorry that you didn't pass. But I have one question for you. Are you going to work full time throughout nursing school? While being a Nurse Aide may help you get into the nursing program with your school it won't give you an upper hand when it comes to getting hired down the road. My school strongly suggests working no more than 20 hours a week while in the nursing program, and I agree.
- 0Jan 15, '09 by Robbie916Just to make things clear for me. I was under the impression that HESI i needed to be taken once you are done with ur pre reqs and about to apply for the ADN program. Is that true? or can i take it as im taking my prereqs, that way if i fail i can take it again and again. How often and around what time of the year is this HESI exam available. I just bought the book too that FUTURENOVARN mentioned.
Please help me.....Thannks
- 10Jan 16, '09 by Lady_VolI am willing to help you in any way that I can. I took the test January 6th. I got a 96.81% on the Composite and 100 on the Math section.
I used the HESI Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Exam Review Book. ISBN: 978-1-4160-5635-5
Feel free to private message me. I will help you.
What sections does your school require? I actually thought the Reading Comprehension was radically different from the review sections in the book. I will be more than happy to help you with fractions and ratios.
I thought the review for ratios and fractions in the HESI book mentioned above was very good.
Remember, this is not a timed test. If you want to sit there for 6 hours, you can. Take your time. You are an intelligent woman. You've worked hard. You can do this! You can make your dream a reality! I promise!