Some people want to live foreverRegister Today!
- by seizetheday Dec 12, '11Not my grandma! Background, she is 94, in a LTC, has major medical problems, severe chronic pain and to top it off she fell last week and cracked ribs.
I was in visiting her last night and our conversation went...
Me: So what do you want for Christmas
Grandma: Mostly just stuff for the funeral
Me: Whose funeral?
Grandma: Mine, I'm done here.
Me: Done here being earth?
Grandma: Yep, so a few things I need..I just ordered my burial dress from the catalog but I need my hair done.
Me: Ummm, you've lived for 94 years with major medical issues, why do you think the end is near
Grandma: I just feel it, but if I'm not gone by January I want you to hit me over the head..one hard crack with a big stick!
Me: Um, that might give you what you want but I'd end up in jail.
Grandma: So when you said if I needed anything just ask...you didn't really mean it?
As you can see she has a great sense of humor but if anyone overheard that convo...yikes!
- Dec 12, '11 by sapphire18Sounds like my gramma- she died 2 1/2 yrs ago at age 83 after a quick and dramatic deterioration d/t cancer (liver vs pancreatic)- she was so ready to go, and I'm glad she is not in pain anymore and hopefully in a better place. Your grandma sounds funny- make sure her worries are quelled on having all she needs for the funeral
- Dec 12, '11 by merleeDoes she want her nails polished? What about her jewelry? Get everything straight with her, make her happy.
Try to be upbeat, but on the level.
I am so glad that my mom made her wants known, it made the decisions surrounding her funeral so much easier.
- Dec 12, '11 by seizethedayShe is more than ready...and has been for years. Unfortunately she is also incredible stubborn and can't seem to make it happen, as morbid as that sounds. She gets jealous when others in the nursing home pass away and asks why it is never her turn. She has a strong faith and complete peace and we talk about death quite openly. I think she is bored and has nothing to plan so why not a funeral! She is a very traditional 'proper' person and appearances are very important to her so we always tease her that we are going to bury her in a mini skirt with a beer in one hand a cigarette in the other! i think that is why she bought the dress!
While I wish for her sake she would go peacefully in her sleep, I don't really see any reason why it would happen now (unfortunately for her). Doctors have been telling her for years (decades!) that she doesn't have much time due to her health. However I will not hit her over the head with a stick!
- Dec 12, '11 by canigraduateShe sounds like my grandmother. A major highway opened up, still under construction, and we were told it would be finished in 10 years. When my grandmother heard that, she yelled "I hope to God I'm dead by then!" 15 years later and no luck for Grandma. She's still kicking!