I start my first semester this fall woo! So excited for this, I was just wondering in general what had helped you your first semester? What did you expect? what you didnt expect? Any advice or tips? Did you have fun or just any general discussion about your first semester.
May 20, '13
I just completed the semester with a 4.0, 3 very young children, a crazy household, and an absentee husband ( works 14-16 hour days). First of all nursing school in terms of being hard is really based on your prior experiences. The reality is some people struggle and then there are some who just get it and can apply the concepts. There are also the natural born test takers. The key is if you struggle initially run and get help from an intervention specialist.
Pretty much here are the keys to success:
1) avoid the drama queens/ kings at all costs
2) study a little to a lot every day--- there are those who study 6 -8 hours every day and still barely pass and those who cram and do well ( find what you need to do to do well). I studied at night at least an hour or 2 every night during the week after the kids were asleep. before a test I always gave myself at least 10-15 hours of study time spread out over 4 days. I didn't study on the weekends or the night of a 12 hour clinical.
3) breathe( kep positive affirmations at your fingertips) pull out when you need encouragement
4) pray, pray, pray
5) if you don't know..... be honest and say so
6) ask questions
7) be respectful
8) buy fundamentals success and use it often
9) learn to be a duck let crap roll off your back
10) stay away from the loudest people in your class ( you'll find out why very soon)
11) learn when to be quiet, never argue with instructors if they say the sky is purple just say really Mrs. so and so I didn't know that thanks for helping me to see it..smile...then curse them in your head
12) get a calendar
13) prior to the test block out the converstions of those who are waiting with you....other peoples lack of confidence prior to a test is contagious, I stayed in my car until 8 minutes before the test , spent 5 min in the restroom, and the last 3 I'd say hello and wait in a corner to be called, and i kept earplugs in my pocket just in case so i wouldn't overhear other people's conversations
14) exercise when you can ( stress reduction)
15) encourage yourself as well as your peers... be a subtle cheerleader
Last edit by MorganB on May 20, '13
: Reason: spelling