Ok all you smarties, need some advice!

  1. I start nursing classes in the Fall (6 mos from now) and I have some time, so if you could go back in time, is there any material you wish you had reviewed before starting your first semester? I have Fundamentals and Essential Nursing Concepts. Thankfully, all my co-reqs are done-ok, except for Micro which I'm going to take in the summer. Any ideas? Thanks!
    •  
  2. 25 Comments

  3. by   twarlik
    If I were you and I was going to have some time on my hands before nursing school, I would just relax. I didn't spend any time reviewing material before nursing school and I'm doing just fine. You're going to be busy enough once the fall gets here, that you're going to be wishing for a vacation. Enjoy your free time while you have it!
  4. by   Carolanne
    :chuckle :chuckle Good advice! If you already have the Fundamentals book, that's a good start. Read up on things like assessing patients, basic skills (BP, etc.), maybe get familiar with some of the nursing diagnoses which you will be working with a LOT when you start writing care plans. Best of luck in your journey!
  5. by   jenrninmi
    Yep! I agree! Enjoy your summer!
  6. by   KimRN03
    I would get a job volunteering in a hospital if you don't already work in one. Great experience! Besides, you may get an insight into what areas of nursing you think are for you and make contacts. Also, make sure you know your A&P. Good luck to you!
  7. by   sierra123
    Quote from allthingsbright
    I start nursing classes in the Fall (6 mos from now) and I have some time, so if you could go back in time, is there any material you wish you had reviewed before starting your first semester? I have Fundamentals and Essential Nursing Concepts. Thankfully, all my co-reqs are done-ok, except for Micro which I'm going to take in the summer. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Yes, great idea getting your micro out of the way--------i would just browse your anatomy and that fundamentals book about assessing would really help----do not go too far ahead because it tends to be too overwhelming. I am half way through my first semester nursing now and nurse assessing is our main focus--good luck!!
  8. by   orrnlori
    Basic assessment and nursing language - it's a world all to it's own. I agree not to get into it too much. Look over nursing diagnosis, you'll have it throughout your schooling and will be writing lots of lovely careplans. Enjoy your summer some as well. You will look back and wish you had if you don't relax a little before jumping into it.
  9. by   fiestynurse
    I didn't review any material before starting nursing school. I partied all summer!
  10. by   MickyB-RN
    I would have purchased a Medical terminology book and acquainted myself with the terminology in more depth. The school I attended didn't require medical terminology but it would have been a good idea.


    Kelly
  11. by   RN 2005
    I would buy a book on med calculations if I were you. This was completely independent study in our school and I have seen others post that their schools handle it the same. Our entire class was overwhelmed and stressed dealing with learning the calcs in addition to our other curriculum. I wish someone had of told me to get my book ahead of time because once you master the formulas you are in!!! That will really give you an extra confidence boost when you come to that point in your classes. TRUST ME!!!!
  12. by   allthingsbright
    awesome idea about the med calc book-i suck at math anyway, so i definitely could use the headstart. thanks everyone for the advice!
  13. by   LadyT618
    Do all the study stuff 10% of the time....the other 90%, party all the time!! Please relax, because you won't have time once you start.

    Toni
  14. by   Sheri257
    Check with the school. My school puts out a booklet which has all of the nursing school reading and other assignments. If your school has something like that, you could get a jump on what you definitely need to know, instead of just guessing and spending time on books that may or may not help you.

    For instance, a lot of pharmacology books teach the math differently than the way my school does. It actually confuses students and makes pharmolcolgy a lot harder for them. So it's always best to go the source to determine exactly what you need to know.
    Last edit by Sheri257 on Mar 14, '04

close