Do you really need a College Algebra pre-req for a Stats class?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Do you really need a College Algebra pre-req for a Stats class? in General Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... Hi, I've found that most Statistics courses have a pre-req requirement for College Algebra. Did you...by AJL_91 Jul 23, '08Hi, I've found that most Statistics courses have a pre-req requirement for College Algebra. Did you find that you really needed to know College Algebra to study Statistics? I finally found a course at a university in my local area that does not require it, so I am enrolling for the fall. Do you think I can get by okay without doing College Algebra first?
Thanks in advance, AJ
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=320064©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Jul 23, '08 by Jules AI didn't have college allgebra, my high school algebra was over 20 years old and I got an A in statistics. I had to go to the dept. head to get a waiver to get in the class but was really glad I tried it. Good luck!
- Jul 23, '08 by DaytoniteThere are some things you are taught in College Algebra class that you need to know for Statistics and it has to do with probabilities and working with sets of numbers and determining the equations to predict the next number in a series if I am remembering this.
- Jul 23, '08 by Transgender_n_TNI don't know if it was necessary, but i've done College Algebra and now finishing up Stats.
- Jul 23, '08 by PathToRNI never took college algebra, but I did take stats and did fine. My university did not have algebra as a prerequisite for me to take stats. I don't think you need it.. it would help, but its not necessary in my opinion.
- Jul 23, '08 by Roberta88It depends how much you already know. I am taking stat right now during the summer and I didn't take algebra yet at college. I did, however, take it a few years ago in high school. I think as long as you know basic math, like which order to calculate a problem (parenthesis exponents multiplication division addition subtraction) that you should do fine. Thats really all I needed to understand Stat. Good luck!
- Jul 23, '08 by Perpetual StudentIt would certainly make it easier. I recommend you check out a good math review book from your library, or buy one, and use it to refresh your memory of fundamental concepts. If you're willing to study a little beforehand and are fairly quick at learning new math skills, you should be able to handle it without having taken a formal college algebra course.
- Jul 23, '08 by happilymarriedI took Math Stats at my college without taking College Algebra. I made an A in the class but there were things that would have been easier to understand if I would have had the College Algebra background. That was a class I was all too happy to be finished with!
- Jul 23, '08 by dee78My school didn't require it for Intro to Stats. I had Algebra in high school, over 13 years ago. I don't remember much of it. I'm currently taking Statistics online and I have a B.
- Jul 23, '08 by RhodyGirl, RNMy school did not require it, and I did fine in Stats. Good luck!