Did you do your research BEFORE you became a nurse?Register Today!
- by Tyler77 Jun 26, '10I often see the same posts on several different threads about the hardships of nursing, and I have to wonder, does anyone do their homework BEFORE they become a nurse? Yes, there is a nursing SHORTAGE, but no one is HIRING. That's the difference. I see the same posts of "Oh, what a horrible day I had. All of my patients were a pain, and the head nurse hates me!" Really? Poor baby! Then why did you decide to go to nursing school (was it the money you'd make???) At the very minimum, you've had clinicals where you could at least OBSERVE some of these things and then make a decision whether or not you want to continue. If I hear "Well, you've made it this far, dont turn back." If your friend was in an abusive relationship for years would you say "Don't leave him/her. You've made it this far." My goodness! The Internet is your friend. In a matter of milli-seconds, you'll find out it's a tough market out there for nurses, however everyone and their brother is applying to nursing school.
- 4,100 Views
- Jun 26, '10 by happy2learnI did my research. I know what I'm getting into. But I'm finding plenty of people who did not, that's for sure! Many of them in my classes think a job will be awaiting them when they graduate. They don't think about networking. They act unprofessional in class and they get by with the minimum.
Many people just listen to what the TV tells them, and the TV is telling them there is a nursing shortage and that there will be plenty of jobs awaiting them when they graduate.Last edit by happy2learn on Jun 26, '10
- Jun 26, '10 by HeartsOpenWideQuote from tyler77#1: those of us who graduated in the last two year, there was no shortage of nursing jobs when we startedi often see the same posts on several different threads about the hardships of nursing, and i have to wonder, does anyone do their homework before they become a nurse? #1 yes, there is a nursing shortage, but no one is hiring. that's the difference. #2 i see the same posts of "oh, what a horrible day i had. all of my patients were a pain, and the head nurse hates me!" really? poor baby! then why did you decide to go to nursing (was it the money you'd make???) #3 at the very minimum, you've had clinicals where you could at least observe some of these things and then make a decision whether or not you want to continue. if i hear "well, you've made it this far, dont turn back." if your friend was in an abusive relationship for years would you say "don't leave him/her. you've made it this far." my goodness! the internet is your friend. in a matter of milli-seconds, you'll find out it's a tough market out there for nurses, however everyone and their brother is applying to nursing school.
#2: everyone has a bad day a work. don't "poor baby" anyone i am sure you have had your fair sure of "it sucked at work today"
#3: no matter how many hours you spend in clinical as a student, you are still a student and can not have any idea what it is really like to be a nurse.
i find it interesting that people come on here to complain about other people complaining....
- Jun 26, '10 by scifihippieI had a 15 year career in another field before this change and entry into nursing. Honestly, every field is hurting right now for jobs, so that was not a deterrent for me. My layoff was an opportunity to explore a new field and was something I'd been thinking about doing for years.
And every field has bad days at work, bad bosses and bad clients. I had plenty of them in my career and it helps to vent and complain, it's comforting. I doubt you would find one field or job that is 100% rosy all the time.
- Jun 26, '10 by Intern67Quote from Tyler77The internet has become less of a friend and more of a molesting uncle. It is full of absolute BS and is becoming more and more useless as a source for reliable information. While everyone and their brother may be applying to nursing school, NOT everyone is accepted - especially at the good ones. Even fewer graduate, and fewer than that pass the boards.The Internet is your friend. In a matter of milli-seconds, you'll find out it's a tough market out there for nurses, however everyone and their brother is applying to nursing school.
In your rant, you failed to point out that getting a CNA cert and putting some hours in is a great way to find out about nursing.
If you attend a reputable school, work hard, get stellar grades and explore opportunities for health care experience long BEFORE you graduate, you will vastly improve your chances of finding work as a nurse.
However, if you leave yourself absolutely no room to work in healthcare for whatever reason - kids, family, social life, or just cannot give up that high paying waitress gig, you sure as heck are going to have a hard time finding a job when you show up with your RN and have never been paid to touch a patient in your life.
When the economy improves and the more experienced nurses start retiring, the job market for new RNs will improve. But for now, to get a good job, you have to work at it starting before you even get into school.
- Jun 26, '10 by BirryQuote from Intern67Quoted for posterityThe internet has become less of a friend and more of a molesting uncle.
And, yes, I've done my homework. 9.5 years working in ICU (as a monitor tech and unit clerk and sometimes NA) has shown me exactly what to expect from nursing, and it happens to be exactly what I want.
- Jun 26, '10 by llgI think the OP raises a good question. I see many people both here at allnurses and at work who don't seem to have done much homework at all. So many students and new grads have such unrealistic perceptions of nursing -- even a few years ago when jobs were plentiful -- that I wonder why they ever chose nursing in the first place. The economic crisis has certainly made things worse, but the problem was there even when the economy was booming.
I am also dismayed by the number of people who don't seem to want let people quit nursing or nursing school. When a student is smart enough to realize that they may have made a mistake, people say things like "Don't give up," etc. Believe me, if a person is going to absolutely hate 90% of the jobs in nursing, he/she is wise to think twice about entering this profession. They SHOULD seriously consider their chances of getting one of the 10% of the jobs they would be willing to tolerate. If they figure that out early in their careers, good for them. We should be helping them find a way to build on what they have already learned/done and use that as a foundation to move on to something which will provide them more opportunities for long-term happiness.
But there is a cultural norm that prevents people from changing course. We tend to look at those course changes as "failures" when many should be considered "wise moves" in response to additional information.
Nursing is the right career choice for many people, but it is certainly not for everyone. Those who do a lot of homework are wise. Those who don't are foolish. Those who discover that a change in course is warrented, should be supported in making those changes.
- Jun 26, '10 by HeartsOpenWideQuote from llgNo one has the guts because it is politically incorrect to tell some one that they just can't cut it or they just aren't nursing material...we live in a society where unless you are quitting smoking, quitting is unacceptable; which is such an oxymoron because some times the best thing for a person to do is quit, and they should be applauded for that. That being said, I don't think quitting nursing should be based on advise given by strangers on the internet.
I am also dismayed by the number of people who don't seem to want let people quit nursing or nursing school.
- Jun 27, '10 by KristeyKI tell people not to quit because even though they will graduate with whatever degree in nursing, there are jobs out there where an employer just wants to see a degree. Heck, there are some non-nursing jobs out there for someone with R.N. behind their name. It's either that or change your major- I would not just advise someone just to drop out of school. Prove that you can finish what you started!