Dealing with "haters"...Register Today!
- by mmcc26 Jul 4Hi everyone! I have a bit of a story...
I went to a family BBQ today to celebrate the 4th, and my cousin decided to take the liberty upon herself to tell me that she doesn't think I'm capable of completing nursing school, that it's too hard for me, and that I should consider other options. This happened out of nowhere. My uncle asked how I was doing in school, and she just jumped in with her negativity.
I have my days where I really doubt myself, I think things like "Will I be a good nurse?" "Do I have what it takes?" but at the end of the day, I am sure of what I want to do. For me, nursing is my calling, not just a career I picked out of a hat. I would be lying if I said I was not extremely hurt and offended by what she said today. The most bizarre part of all of this is that we aren't close, and we never speak about my academics or school, in fact, we don't really talk much at all. Her comment was truly out of left field.
The point of my post is, has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you handle the haters and the naysayers?
- 5,701 Views
- Jul 4 by RRWilson,RN2I had family members that were unhappy for me in nursing school. Assumed I had all this money and I was just in nursing, but now that I've been a RN, BSN for a year they are even more envious. My brand new 2013 car doesn't ease their feelings, oh well. I pray for them and continue to love them from a distance. I worry about what I can control.
- Jul 4 by aubgurlI had a lady sit me down when I started learning to scrub in the OR and her exact words were, "I told them that hiring you was a mistake and that you would never cut it as a scrub tech." I determined then and there to prove her wrong and I have! I always get excellent evaluations and I train new scrub techs.
Use the hurtful statements as motivation. I think a lot of us (me included) have doubts at times and wonder if we are going to make it. I think that is normal. But you want this. Fight for it and prover her wrong! Good luck to you
- Jul 4 by futuresctRNUm.. Yes. During my pre-nursing year (Jr year BSN student now) the people in my "study group" used to give me weird looks because sometimes I would try to make light of our stressful situations, laugh a little and joke(Not in an immature way though) I could tell that they looked at me like, "wow, there's no way she'll get into this program" lol. Even my "best friend" at the time told me to consider applying to other nursing schools because "only the best" got into the one i was trying to get into.
Annnnd guess what? I got in, first try . Only one other person in our study group did! Not only that, but I passed my first year of nursing school. Why? I decided to prove them wrong. I used it as fuel. You should too! Let them hate. They're just trying to make themselves feel better and calm their own insecurities. Really. This is YOUR calling, career and your LIFE. Give it all you've got! Don't you dare let anyone's negativity stand in your way or put doubt in your mind. You can do anything you set your mind to, if you're determined enough! I believe in you
- Jul 4 by mmcc26Thanks so much for all of your replies and good for all of you for pushing through and proving people wrong. I really needed the pick me up from people who are going through the same things I am. I love this website!
It really baffles me, because she's a lawyer, she's accomplished, I can't understand what her reasoning would be to want someone else to fail. I can guarantee that when she was in my shoes, as a college student, no one ever said to her "this is too hard, you can't do this". It's ugly, and its sad that it came from a family member.
- Jul 4 by MJH3483What exactly does your cousin do that makes her the "end all, be all" of determining if you have what it takes? I personally have had nothing by support from everyone after leaving the corporate world in Manhattan. It wasn't always easy and there was much adversity but I graduated from one of the nation's top nursing program. Personally, I have seen students at my school get ripped by the dean saying that they don't have what it takes and they should consider social work. Some girls used the hate as motivation, others went onto something else, and others switched nursing programs. Personally, I agree with everyone. If this is something you want, you will do it and make your cousin eat her words.