Would you commute an hour to a job you wanted? - page 6
by nursebythesea 13,200 Views | 68 Comments
Currently doing 12 hour overnights in a job I'm not very fond of, mostly clock watching. But this job is 15 minutes away. I have been offered a position I'd really enjoy, on the day shift, but requires a one hour commute each... Read More
- 0Oct 15, '13 by GrnTeaQuote from Blondenurse83I commute an hour each way and live in an area with snowy winters. It isn't so bad, worth it if it's a job you'd like! I work nights so my drive home can be rough but it's definitely doable.
Me too, I did that for years. Of course it's doable. And better for your head. And you can listen to NPR on the commute and learn a lot of neat stuff.
- 1Oct 15, '13 by HappyWife77I took a dream job♥ with great pay and hours I wanted, an hour commute. In the north with bad winters. I just bought a new AWD/4WD....and hope for the best. I am very happy. Somedays are rough....when I get out late I don't feel like having to drive so far but at least I'm comfortable in the luxury ride. ;-)
- 0Oct 16, '13 by RensoulCurrently I live 2 hours from the my job. I don't commute daily though and have an apartment within 5 minutes of the hospital (Long story). If I could have an hour commute it would be pushing it IMHO. There are days I do well to stay awake an hour after I get home much less drive.
What are the chances of you moving closer to the job? Do you know anyone else that works there that you might be able to crash with if you had a bad day? What are their scheduling policies, & what are your scheduling expectations?
- 0Oct 17, '13 by proud nurseI had a job for 7 years that only took me 6 minutes to get to. That was nice, but I hated that place. Now I drive about 25 minutes for I job I love. I pass 3 hospitals on my way. I've never considered applying to them because I really like where I work. 45 minutes would be the most I'd commute.
- 1Mar 22 by WhoatemyburgerIve never commuted in my life. I work 5 mins away and currently got an offer for my dream job (1hr 20 mins away). Thats actually in the train and the commute is very easy....
I hate the place I work now. Everyone is telling me not to do it because of the horrible commute. I have to make a decision soon. My daughter is finishing HS in 2 years . After that, i can move way closer to my new job. I am happy to see so many of you nurses commuting. Makes me feel I am not alone!