Using Your Photo As An Avatar - page 3
by Ruby Vee 10,255 Views | 61 Comments
I see more and more posters using their own photos as avatars, and while most of those pictures are very attractive, I think it's a dangerous practice. The internet isn't really as anonymous as we all like to think it is, but if... Read More
- 5Feb 18, '13 by pockunitI switched my accounts to a new user name because I was worried things I said made it too easy to identify me. I've gotten a little slack but you can bet your sweet bippy that I won't risk my hard-won RN job by posting a photo someone could trace. Honey badger don't play.
- 2Feb 18, '13 by hiddencatRNI agree completely. I've figured out people I know in real life based on a few key details and have been found out as well. I really try to keep my posts 100% unobjectionable but I can't always resist a good flame war. I mean, heated discussion. Anyway, post your state, your specialty, maybe your school, and you will discover just how small a community nursing is. Adding a picture just confirms it for others.
- 4Feb 18, '13 by AnonRNCSee my User Name.
I may or may not live in L.A.
I do work in the NICU.
I probably have as many years of experience as it says up there ^^.
I don't talk about my patients in "real time." That is: if I post something about a patient I had the other other day, it was probably a year ago and a different gender and I mixed up several other details. If a parent ever "googles" words associated with what their baby had, they WILL NOT get one of my posts.
I know of one other person at work that is an AllNurses user, but I don't know his user name and he doesn't know mine. And neither of us ever log into AllNurses from work.Last edit by AnonRNC on Feb 18, '13 : Reason: correcting emphasis
- 0Feb 19, '13 by samadams8Quote from Ruby VeeI think it's a dangerous practice. The internet isn't really as anonymous as we all like to think it is, but if you're using your own picture as an avatar, you might as well use your own name as well.
Just have to strongly agree with this. Nice pics don't matter. At the end of the day, kinds and levels of safety matter. I don't even do the FB thing b/c of this. I feel a little left out for not doing it, but it makes me nervous. I don't really have time for it anyway, but there are times I think it 'd be nice.
- 4Feb 19, '13 by DeLanaHarvickWannabeQuote from Nascar nurseWell, Danica...DeLana Harvick here. (See, to your left, picture of me, hubby and baby son).Awe - here I was trying to hide the big secret that I'm really Danica Patrick (snicker snicker)
I have many many MANY bones to pick with you, Ms. Patrick...firstly, how does it feel to be with a fulltime ride only because of the sponsorship money you can bring in, and how does it feel to know that Johanna Long has crappy equipment yet regularly finishes higher than you do in the Nationwide series?
See, this is another reason why this should remain anonymous.
- 1Feb 19, '13 by sharpeimom GuideAnother thing I've used as a Halloween avatar is a picture of my Goddaughter's baby girl dressed in her costume. It's adorable and as long as I don't use her unusual first name, I think it's OK.
This was the very same costume she put on again, in the spring, when her baby brother was a week late. Her explanation? "He'll see how much fun he's missing by staying in there." It must have worked! He arrived that night!