I am a Paramedic with seven years experience plus 3 years as a tech on a HEAVY-DUTY med-surg floor; I am currently in Excelsior program and will do my CPNE next week.
If I pass and pass NCLEX....WHERE DO I GO?
1. Labor and Delivery-very similar to an ER environment, but with more pt. teaching and, obviously, a much happier place.
2. ICU- REALLY sick people, limited whining. Just no trauma.
3. ER- hey, go with what you know...but am I limited to just this area of the hospital? Plus, whining is a big component here, ie "My ear started buzzing about three weeks ago...take me to the hospital in the big ambulance so I don't have to sit in the waiting area." Also: Really Dumb Trauma, ala Jackass-like stunts, usually involving alcohol.
4. Cardiac- I am a ACLS freak. LOVE meds and ECG's.
5. Transplants- Something good comes out of the bad things in life.
1. Orthopedics-SHOCKER! I HATE TRAUMA! I can manage it, but I hate broken bones and hip replacements. My partner, luckily, lives for trauma.
2. OR-Cold, lots of standing, and well,...sterile.
3. Psych- don't care for it, but I swear, the crazies love me. They recognize their own kind I suppose.
So, there you have it. Voices of experience, give me your wisdom!!!