Do you donate blood?Register Today!
- by pna2388 Jun 23, '10Hi, I am a rising 4th year nursing student doing a project for a statistics class and am designing an experiment to see if there is a correlation between being a nurse and donating blood. I would really appreciate any responses to the poll! Also, feel free to leave comments, especially if you are ineligible to donate, I would be interested to know why. Thanks! (I posted this in the poll threads but only got a few responses, so I figured I would try it here)
- 3,608 Views
- Jun 23, '10 by RNMegI try to donate regularly, but the past few times I've attempted to donate I've had a fever. Every time, it's just been a degree or 2 above their cutoff point, and I've felt absolutely fine. I didn't even get sick the following day or week. Weird
- Jun 23, '10 by rhymeswithlibrarianI voted, but... are you sure an internet poll will be acceptable for this project? Internet polls are notoriously unreliable, and I would imagine that you're being graded on your ability to produce a meaningful (if modest in scale) result. Or, maybe they don't care how biased your results are, just whether or not you process the numbers you get correctly. Just something to think about.
- Jun 23, '10 by pna2388Hi,
Thank you for the feedback. I do realize an internet poll is certainly not ideal, but 40% of our project is an analysis paper, where we have to critique our experiment. In such a short summer course, it is hard to design a really great experiment - so it actually works out well to have some flaws because I will have more to analyze, such as it being a voluntary response survey, etc. But thank you for your vote and your feedback!
- Jun 23, '10 by S.N. VisitI habitually pass out towards the end of the donation. Tried it x3 and was asked not to do any further donations. I was told if they couldn't fill the bag, they had to dispose of my blood. Feel bad since I'm O neg.
- Jun 23, '10 by CT PixieI've made numerous attempts to donate, but turned away every time. I don't meet the weight requirement.
- Jun 23, '10 by nicoleRN831I would love to donate but I can't. I have thalassemia minor and everytime I went to try they always told me my hemoglobin was too low.
- Jun 23, '10 by happy2learnI have never been able to donate and will never be able to donate since I have von Willebrand's disease. But I appreciate those who do because they help save the live of my fellow hemophilia members!
- Jun 23, '10 by LouisVRNI can't a just got a tattoo, and before that had another tattoo and before that was pregnant. So its been awhile, prior to that I used to donate every few months. I plan to donate again after my year wait is up.
- Jun 23, '10 by blondy2061hI donate blood regularly when I can. My hct has been below the cut off before, and I travel internationally quite a bit, which disqualifies me occasionally.