Daycare and Nursing
- 0Jun 22, '13 by JasmDasmFuture RN student (start Jan 2014) with an important question:
Where do your babies go when you're doing your clinicals / shift?
I have a toddler who will be 2 by the time I start and I really have no idea where I'm going to put her. Clinicals start at 7am ( which means I'm parking the car by 6:30) and most daycares here in NY open at that time. Hubby works nights and is dead to the world at that time, my nearby siblings work and leave early. One grandmother has sleep problems and can't watch the kids early while the other is wishy washy at best and not very dependable.
Btw, I am the only one with a car. So I was just wondering what kind of arrangement do you have for your kiddos? Any advice? Please let me know!
- 0Jun 22, '13 by chrissylovegoodI understand I got afternoon classes expect on clinical day and luckily my mom has that day off but if she didn't I honestly don't know what I would do. In the past I had to drop classes because of someone taking care of my daughter. Maybe you could ask local daycares if they know of an individual who does child care and see of they are willing just to come to your house the morning you have early class and take your child to daycare goodluck everything will work out I'm sure
- 1Jun 22, '13 by HippyDippyLPNThe daycare my kids go to open at 6 am, I would be surprised if you couldn't find one. Find daycares around hospitals, many of them cater to these early hours to get hospital employee business. If you can't find one, try an independent provider. I have good luck with in home private daycares in the past. Pro is they can be more accommodating to odd schedules, con is they don't have a boss so they can call of whenever they please. I paid for background checks on every adult in the house of the houses my kids went too and asked for 3 former client references or current ones. I also would do random drops in just to make sure it was all good. I think that has helped me avoid bad situations. I did tire of the wishy washy in home schedule so I forked out the extra money for a facility daycare.
- 0Jun 22, '13 by sali22My clinicals start at 7 am. My kids daycare opens at 6:30. I do not drive either. I do him of at 6 30, run to the bus stop that's 5 mins away, then a ten minute bus ride. I usually get to my floor with no time to spare. It's risky. But I made it through my first year okay. I wouldn't recommend it though, very stressful.Last edit by sali22 on Jun 22, '13
- 0Jun 23, '13 by JasmDasmThanks for the advice. There are a few in home childcare places close to where I live. I've interviewed them all and the one that I absolutely love opens at 7.
Plus, we are trying to survive on Hubby's income alone, so money is tight. And he feels that I should cover everything else (cooking, cleaning, kids, sitter) since he is the only one who works. Bleh, I just wish my family was more reliable.
- 0Jun 23, '13 by NicuGalSounds like hubby needs to step up. My husband and I worked opposite shifts for years and juggles the child care. And we have NO family here. We finally found a daycare that opened at 6a (Kindercare) and the kids got dropped off by him and I got to sleep until 2pm. Once he got home we had early dinner and I would nap if I was working at 11pm or just go to work at 7pm.
You both have to work up a plan. Good luck!