Can't Focus... Nursing SchoolRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Can't Focus... Nursing School in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... Hey there! I am having a heck of time with my OB rotation. I hate it. I am having a very hard...by Hygiene Queen Guide Feb 2, '10Hey there!
I am having a heck of time with my OB rotation.
I hate it.
I am having a very hard time focusing and even though I try to study, I am having a hard time retaining.
I just failed my OB med quiz and can take it over as many times as I need to but I MUST pass this quiz to pass the class. I seem to have developed a mental block.
I'm freaking out over clinicals and reciting my meds.
I am totally blown away by the amount of paperwork and research this class requires.
I am stressed over my late clinical times and the fact I have exams the day after clinicals.
I am becoming physically ill and am frustrated that I could pull myself through before, in spite of going through divorce, moving and a nasty clinical instructor. And now I let myself fall apart now?
I only have until July to finish but can't bear anymore.
I feel like I started this class behind already.
I have seriously considered withdrawing, taking a mental break and better preparing for when I take this class again.
That means I won't be done until, at least December.
I don't know how much longer worK will put up with my schedule.
I have kids looking forward to my July graduation.
I have family counting on me to finish.
I hate nursing (right now, anyway) but I feel I must start what I finish.
I guess I just need to vent and I am sure plenty of others have been in my situation.
I feel incompetent and stupid right now.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=453938©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,033 Views
- Feb 2, '10 by classicdamewell you are not incompetent or stupid or you would not be this close to graduation. This is a hard rotation. Study with others (but don't get caught in the trap of everyone talking but not studying), consider what else in your life you can let relax (housework, church duties, etc). Are you getting enough sleep? DEMAND it. Get tough with your family about how they can help you by not being needy right now. If this does not help it is better to graduate a few months later than to have a nervous breakdown. Don't forget to ask instructor for advice. This is new to you but old hat to them. GOOD LUCK
- Feb 2, '10 by bluemartianWhen I was in nursing school I use to take the vitamin supplement focus factor, it was amazing ! I dont mean sound like an advertisement but it worked well for me. Good Luck
- Feb 2, '10 by Noel1221Can you speak to your Clinical Instructor? Sometimes all you need is a little help! Don't be afarid to ask, your so close to being done, and you will get through this! Maybe you can go to someone higher up in your program and explain how you are feeling and they may be able to provide you with some additional resources and/or they may be able to spend time to help you with this difficult rotation. Good Luck with this, and you are not incompitent and stupid, the smartest thing to do sometimes is ask for help, when you know it may be needed. You were smart enough to get into school, and get this far, so don't discredit yourself! Good Luck!!
- Feb 2, '10 by Hygiene QueenI have thus far not talked about my issues only because I know the instructors have heard it all before. My situation is not unique.
I sit down to do research and I lose heart.
I can't sleep and I have NO clue what day it is half the time.
Had a friend ask me when my kids had spring break. I told her i would get back to her on that. Her response, "Are you telling me you are sooo busy you don't know about your kids?"
I didn't even respond. I was livid.
I dread picking up the phone. I dread reading mail. I now smoke like a chimney. I panic constantly.
I put off studying... yes I should be doing it now but it almost HURTS.
I'll study now.
- Feb 2, '10 by rdsxfnrndont beat your self up. nsg school is tough. being a mom is tough ob is tough. its all HARD WORK. i know it can get overwhelming, but really you are soooooo close to the end. DO WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO TO GET THRU IT! dont let other ppl get u down, u have enuf to do as it is. so u dont know when vacation is....... u r almost done, and then trust me things will get back on track. work your butt off for these next few months, and it will be over before you know it! good luck!
- Feb 2, '10 by JadastarHello. I have been trolling this website for years, and never even registered until I saw your post today. I am in my last semester of nursing school, and I just wanted to tell you that what you are experiencing is not unusual. I took OB last semester and was looking forward to it, but I didn't have a very good experience. I was struggling, but I kept working at it. I am a single mother of two children, one of which is autistic. It's not easy, but you can do it! I didn't pull an "A", but I did my best under the circumstances. And that's all you can do...Utilize your classmates, and as someone else mentioned get some sleep especially the night before you take a quiz. Have you ever tried concept maps? Nursing school has taught me that I am a visual learner, and concept maps really helped me in Pharm. Good luck to you!
- Feb 2, '10 by Hygiene QueenI have been recording myself going over my notes.
Venting here has helped.
I gave myself a good kick in the rear and got some research done for a presentation I must do.
Honestly, I'm frustrated by the amount paperwork for presentations and reports. I'd rather do all night pt research like in med-surge than reports!
Thanks for the support.
I shall trudge on.
- Feb 2, '10 by kcochraneI felt that way last semester. Didn't think I would graduate. Was in tears most of the semester. Worried about what everyone would think if I didn't graduate and had to do the whole semester over. I was just on overload and tired tired tired of school and work.
Take each day as it comes. Do the best you can. Give yourself credit for getting this far. Can you take a day off and just do something fun? It might be what you need to recharge.
If nothing else, come and vent. We hear you! Take care of yourself, you are almost there.!!!!!!!
- Feb 2, '10 by AnnismeI felt the same way about my OB rotation. I sat and cried, telling my husband "I don't wanna do OB!!!" The calm, wise soul that he is put it simply..."if you know you are supposed to be a nurse, you have to do OB to finish nursing school." He knows me so well. It is hard, it is a lot of work and...IT IS WORTH IT!!!! Take a deep breath, know that you are not alone and keep putting one foot in front of the other. It is how you got this far...besides, NOT going in to OB when you pass the NCLEX is a great reward!
Blessings to you.