Aleve good for fever?Register Today!
- by SouthernLPN2RN Sep 23, '05I've been having fever chills etc for about a day and a half now. I started out taking advil, then alternating advil and tylenol. I didn't want to be taking so much so I took 2 aleve about 2 hours ago and my temp's not yet below 99.3. Is aleve not a good choice for fever?
- Sep 23, '05 by papawjohnHey Southrnlpn
Naprosyn/aleve is "used for treatment of mild to moderate pain, inflamation and fever." www.medicinenet.com/naproxen/article.html
You're smart not to over-do tylenol. Very hard on the liver and the antidote is drinking mucomyst!!! Yuck.
Take naproxen with some food. Worst GI Bleed I ever saw was a poor arthritic fellow who was taking mega-doses of naproxen on an empty stomach.
See a Dr tomorrow if you're not getting helped by Over-the-Counters.
- Sep 23, '05 by SouthernLPN2RNI appreciate the advice Papaw! I should've went today but I felt too bad to get dressed (poor UPS guy). I may have to go back to the advil tho, cause my temp's going up now and the chills are worse. Not to mention the headache and abdominal pain.
- Sep 23, '05 by SouthernLPN2RNI just read that article, will I be ok taking ibuprofen before the aleve wears out?
- Sep 24, '05 by papawjohnHey!!
Wow---I don't really know about that but I'd say-take it easy on mixing them up. Common sense (for what it's worth) would be that there is a certain amount of 'effect' (actually it's inhibiting the secretions of a chemical messenger that the cells of our body use to communicate with each other--'prostaglandins') and more meds won't add more effect. They'll only add side-effects.
I hurry to 'splain--I don't even play a Dr on TV and I did NOT stay in a HolidayInnExpress last night.
Two things: If you're still sick after taking good care of yourself, see a Dr! And I 'spose you're doing non-drug things: swabbing your self with water, cooling the room drinking cool fluids, stuff you'd tell your kids to do? That's the 'care' part of 'taking care of yourself'.
Hope ya feel better soon
- Sep 24, '05 by Morning-gloryI just had to add something here. I was on the same road that you are with the chills and the meds and the "can I take this yet?" syndrome. Finally got my butt into the DR's. A blood test and CXR later, I was Dx with Lt lung pneumonia. The whole thing. I'd been working the whole time that I was feeling crappy, taking meds to keep me from chattering through the shift, and sweating through the sheets at night. So now I'm on Abx and feeling better by the day.
I was sick for 4 weeks before I did anything about it.
So go see your Dr, especially if you feel like crap.
- Sep 24, '05 by SusanJeanQuote from southernlpnHow high is the fever? Your body is trying to fight off a bug...I've been having fever chills etc for about a day and a half now. I started out taking advil, then alternating advil and tylenol. I didn't want to be taking so much so I took 2 aleve about 2 hours ago and my temp's not yet below 99.3. Is aleve not a good choice for fever?
I think, rather than trying to medicate the fever away, you should see your PCP for a consult. You are only hiding the symptoms, not treating them.
If your fever is higher than 101 F for more than 24 hours, you should see someone... or at least call for a phone consult.
BTW, if your temp is 99.3, you don't need to worry about lowering it any more.
- Sep 24, '05 by SouthernLPN2RNI didn't take anything else last night and I went to bed about an hour after I posted last. My temp at that time was 100.7 and I was shaking like a leaf! Anyhow, I'm much better this am, temp 98.1 without taking anything. No, I wasn't taking anything for a temp of 99.3, I was taking the advil for a temp of 102. My concern was that the aleve wasn't bringing it down as well as the advil had been. Thanks everybody!!
- Sep 25, '05 by SouthernLPN2RNWell, I spoke too soon! I ended up going to Express care yesterday where they dx me with a kidney infection (didn't and don;t have any symptoms). Rx's septra. had to go to ER last night, terrible RUQ pain and temp 103.4 not responsive to meds. Also couldn't keep anything down. Turns out I do have the kidney infection but also a very distended place in my colon.
Potassium was low too.Last edit by SouthernLPN2RN on Sep 25, '05
- Sep 25, '05 by cumberland40i forgot how much but i drank two aspirin for my fever. i was groggy for 2 days. I slept most of that time from sat to sunday. When I woke up monday morning the fever is gone. a little dizzy but now i found out that aspirin is not only effective for my fever btu as well as for my insomnia. hehehe