Sociology video

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Good morning fellow pre-nursing students :)

I am taking a sociology class this semester and our instructor cancelled class for this past week. We were supposed to view a video about a sociology related topic in our own free time (and then write a paper on it)... I am having a hard time figuring out what movie to see or what would actually work for the assignment... I know that sociology is the scientfic study of humans and the interactions around them... but i still am not having luck. One of the mentioned movies in class was "Patch Adams" so something like that... I am not a movie type person so I honestly do not even know what is out there! LOL I have never seen Patch Adams but given the fact that she talked about it several times I would hate to rent it and use it for my assignment.

Any suggestions?

Alnee

Specializes in NICU/L&D, Hospice.

A couple of suggestions, hopefully inline with what you are looking for. Both are excellent, enjoyable, easy to watch.

Walt Disney's "Holes" (not a cartoon, but was a book, which was great!)

The main character is the kid from "Even Stevens" tv show.

Lots of different teenage personalities here (they're at a camp for bad teens). Shows a lot of interaction to each other's personalities and differences. Great one to consider!

Another good one is "Secondhand Lions". This one stars Michael Caine, Robert Duvall and Haley Joel Osment (6th Sense kid that says "I see dead people" Great actor!)

He goes to live with his "crazy" uncles (because everyone assumes they are crazy). His mom is a loser, the extended family is only visiting them to try to get their money. Great show!

I recommend them anyways. Kids can watch both. No bad stuff here. Both are kid friendly.

Good luck!

lisa

Specializes in CCRN.

In my sociology class we watched "A Beautiful Mind" the story about John Nash. Great movie.

We watched " Jason's Lyric"

Specializes in Urgent Care.

we watched " stand and Deliver"

Specializes in NICU, Infection Control.

Patch Adams is a good movie. Check the public library--you may be able to check it out.

Good morning fellow pre-nursing students :)

I am taking a sociology class this semester and our instructor cancelled class for this past week. We were supposed to view a video about a sociology related topic in our own free time (and then write a paper on it)... I am having a hard time figuring out what movie to see or what would actually work for the assignment... I know that sociology is the scientfic study of humans and the interactions around them... but i still am not having luck. One of the mentioned movies in class was "Patch Adams" so something like that... I am not a movie type person so I honestly do not even know what is out there! LOL I have never seen Patch Adams but given the fact that she talked about it several times I would hate to rent it and use it for my assignment.

Any suggestions?

Alnee

In MY Sociology class we had to watch "The Truman Show". Hope that helps....

Specializes in ante/postpartum, baby RN.

I recommend 'Dead Poets Society' with Robin Williams.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097165/

He is the main character in 'Patch Adams', too. Both movies are GREAT!

Katie

"Life As a House"- alot of different issues: dealing with terminal illness, parent relationships, blended family issues, community issues.

"Breakfast Club"- The ultimate in teen/high school peer issues, not to mention the class issues presented between the students and between the principal and the janitor.

"Where The Heart Is"- (with Natalie Portman) Teen pregnancy/single parenting, community issues, romance.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

I ended up calling a classmate to see what she was going watch... She sent me a link to a website that gave a bunch of examples but also told what "sociological objectives" each video would deal with. I ended up watching "The Doctor" which was a lot better than I thought it would be. It ended up being one of those things as to what I could find at the movie store that was on the shelf (apparently everyone of the soc classes around here had the same assignment! LOL)...

We are supposed to watch a couple of movies this semester so it should be fun!

Thanks again!

Alnee

+ Add a Comment