Trying to Bust a Strike

Nurses Activism

Published

Did you get this email?

NOW RECRUITING FOR NEW JERSEY STRIKE October 8, 2004

Dear "x",

....... is now recruiting for a strike in .......on or about November 14, 2004.

This strike is for RN's only and all candidates must currently hold a ....... license as we will not have time to process new licenses. Our client is a major trauma center, level III NICU, kidney transplant center and also maintains a burn unit and Burn ICU. All areas of ICU, NICU and PICU are required, including clinics, dialysis, complete surgical services and just about any area of practice, ensuring a wide variety of opportunities for all.

We pay regular rates for all orientation hours the evening before the strike commences in addition to hours worked. In the event that you travel to the strike and it has been settled, .......pays $500 dollars show up pay for your time and willingness to support this project. Please visit our FAQ Page for answers to most questions. You may also call us at ........or send an email.

As email is our primary method of recruiting, we ask that you register on our webpage so you will be kept informed of all opportunities as they develop.

REGISTER NOW

DOWNLOAD FORMS NOW

You may also email us at X and we will email, fax or mail them to you.

Latest strike info...

Get advance notice. Register with .......!

California Strike Pushed to December

Regarding other opportunities: We have received an update regarding our contract in the San Francisco Bay Area. This strike has been pushed back to December.

In November we will be returning to the location of our recent one day strike in California except it will be for a minimum of 5 days this time. All candidates who participated last week are given first opportunity to return however the client has indicated doubling the staffing requirements so we will have more openings this time around.

On a personal note I would like to thank each and every professional who came to the recent one day strike for the support, cooperation and outstanding service everyone provided in their job assignment. There was not a single complaint from the client, but rather very good comments regarding the quality of staff and the excellence in service provided by all.

I have never had the pleasure of presenting such an outstanding group of Healthcare Professionals to any other client in the past. Thank you!

With Kindest Regards,

In order to receive uninterrupted emails announcing job actions, you MUST register on the .......website.

REGISTER NOW

Join our mailing list!

email: X

phone: X

web: X

THEY DON'T NEED TO EMAIL ME

I'M NOT CROSSING A PICKET LINE!

THERE MUST BE A REASON FOR THE STRIKE

THEY CAN SHOVE IT! :angryfire

I have worked strikes before and it is great. The money is excellent and you are treated quite well by the hospital and the patients alike. While strikes might not be for some it really is a great time for the people working. Everyone is there for the same thing and you have a bond that makes it great. As for those nurses that go on strike, you do what you have to do. I think it is great that nurses could actually make a decision together and walk out on administration.

I love strikes

I love getting strike pay

and I cross strike lines with a smile on my face

as I pocket some of those really big bucks

Tom, I think that was a Haiku!

Specializes in ER, ICU, L&D, OR.
Tom, I think that was a Haiku!

GESUNDHEIT :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I wouldn't work the recent strike in CA for ANY amount of $$$$---I know what the issue was--it had to do with management IGNORING the safe staffing law AB 394--that is, MANDATED RN to patient ratios--that took effect as of Jan. 1, 2004.

As a nurse who lives in OR but trained and worked (still works!) in CA, I know first hand how hard we worked--for over 20 years-- to get that law passed--the ONLY safe staffing, RN to patient ratio law in the NATION. I will be damned if any corporate scum, management scum, or scabs help to undo it--and I'd be a hypocrite if I was among those scum, or among those who buy into the managementspeak rationalizing scabs because "the patients deserve quality care during a work stoppage yad yada yada" (they HATE the word "strike.") Yeah, right---that's the whole reason for the strike in the FIRST place--because, thanks to management ignoring safe stffing ratios, the patients WERE NOT GETTING QUALITY CARE---managment was forcing the RNs to work in suboptimal conditions with unsafe staffing levels, resulting in conditions that would result in suboptimal patient care!!! They just don't get it!!! They just do not realize that they are cutting off their own noses to spite their faces!!

I just don't think I could EVER work a strike, ANYWHERE--each group of staff nurses has its own issues, most of which has to do with unsafe staffing and suboptimal working conditions--why go in and jeopardize their chances of being victorious? What if YOU were among that group of nurses on strike, and strangers who had no clue about why you were striking came in? They aren't coming in because they care about patient care--they are coming in because of the money. At least Tom is honest enough to admit it--he doesn't parrot the management and administration scum and babble on about "the patients deserve qualtiy care."

Every strike I've ever been on, health plan patients supported US. They came by with food, alcohol, etc. and honked--sometimes even walked the strike line--to show their support. Most of the inpatients that could be transferred were transferred. Trauma patients were diverted. OB was CLOSED, and the patients delivered elsewhere. Doctors also supported us--that is, the NURSING staff, and would not admit their patients to the hospitals in question. The docs did NOT want their patients cared for by scabs. It's like it was US--the docs and US--against management and administration.

One time--around '96-- I was working a travel assignment in CA, and a local hospital was going to strike. The nurses who came in for U.S. Nursing--who was a big strike-busting company at the time--stayed at my hotel. Man! What a sorry looking group a good many of them (not all, mind you) were! Some had greasy hair, missing or rotting teeth, dirty shoes and uniforms---you could see why these nurses had to work strikes--it was the only work they could GET----strike buster companies such as U.S. Nursing were well known for hiring "warm bodies--" they didn't particularly care about actual SKILLS.

One strike nurse had some kind of infectious skin disease--it looked like impetigo, or maybe even some other chronic Staph infection---he always wore turtlenecks to work (in ICU, mind you, where the patients could not afford to be further compromised!) so that no one would notice and send him home without pay (as I'm certain must have happened to him a time or two, at OTHER jobs.)

The owner of U.S. Nursing has since died, but I'm sure he made many millions off the backs of these "warm bodies" who mostly looked like refugees from Jerry Springer and admittedly were making more than they'd ever make on staff "back home"--that is, assuming anybody from "back home" would HIRE them.

There were others with "baggage--" i.e., compulsive gamblers, widows--OLD widows--who were left penniless, and had to go back to work (maybe hadn't worked as nurses in 30 years) and those who had shiftless, abusive or alcoholic husbands or partners and 6 or 7 kids. I remember one time when one of them somehow got her husband and kids out there and tried to hide them in her U. S. Nursing only paid for HER lodging, and hotel guests complained about these noisy, dirty, undisciplined kids who ran up and down the halls--she said that her hotel room was bigger than her entire house back home (which they rented, and which they were being evicted from--in fact, they were essentially homeless, so I don't know WHERE the husband and kids went BACK to--they had nowhere to go!) It was pretty pitiful--the kids ate at the free continental breakfast every morning as if it was their last meal--stuffing danishes, bagels, little boxes of cereal etc. in their raggedy clothes. The husband tried to hit on all the other strike AND travel nurses when his wife was not around--he thought he was quite the ladies' man.

I saw all this first hand, and would swear to it, as would my fellow travelers--the strike nurses would talk to us all the time about their lives back home, and how they thought they had it so good in CA. It really was pretty pathetic, as they were clueless as to how they were being exploited.

I wonder if this is the same SCAB company providing nurses in Missouri? U.S. Nursing Corp...SCAB suppliers across the nation. :angryfire

Did you get this email?

NOW RECRUITING FOR NEW JERSEY STRIKE October 8, 2004

Dear "x",

....... is now recruiting for a strike in .......on or about November 14, 2004.

This strike is for RN's only and all candidates must currently hold a ....... license as we will not have time to process new licenses. Our client is a major trauma center, level III NICU, kidney transplant center and also maintains a burn unit and Burn ICU. All areas of ICU, NICU and PICU are required, including clinics, dialysis, complete surgical services and just about any area of practice, ensuring a wide variety of opportunities for all.

We pay regular rates for all orientation hours the evening before the strike commences in addition to hours worked. In the event that you travel to the strike and it has been settled, .......pays $500 dollars show up pay for your time and willingness to support this project. Please visit our FAQ Page for answers to most questions. You may also call us at ........or send an email.

As email is our primary method of recruiting, we ask that you register on our webpage so you will be kept informed of all opportunities as they develop.

REGISTER NOW

DOWNLOAD FORMS NOW

You may also email us at X and we will email, fax or mail them to you.

Latest strike info...

Regarding other opportunities: We have received an update regarding our contract in the San Francisco Bay Area. This strike has been pushed back to December.

In November we will be returning to the location of our recent one day strike in California except it will be for a minimum of 5 days this time. All candidates who participated last week are given first opportunity to return however the client has indicated doubling the staffing requirements so we will have more openings this time around.

On a personal note I would like to thank each and every professional who came to the recent one day strike for the support, cooperation and outstanding service everyone provided in their job assignment. There was not a single complaint from the client, but rather very good comments regarding the quality of staff and the excellence in service provided by all.

I have never had the pleasure of presenting such an outstanding group of Healthcare Professionals to any other client in the past. Thank you!

With Kindest Regards,

In order to receive uninterrupted emails announcing job actions, you MUST register on the .......website.

REGISTER NOW

Join our mailing list!

email: X

phone: X

web: X

THEY DON'T NEED TO EMAIL ME

I'M NOT CROSSING A PICKET LINE!

THERE MUST BE A REASON FOR THE STRIKE

THEY CAN SHOVE IT! :angryfire

I wonder if this is the same SCAB company providing nurses in Missouri? U.S. Nursing Corp...SCAB suppliers across the nation. :angryfire

No, this is not U.S. Nursing--I cannot remember the name of this company, but I got the same email--the owner of THIS company, however, USED to work for U.S. Nursing.....

I do not know if U.S. Nursign exists anymore, since Dan, the owner, died--however, various offshoots of it have been formed by his minions who went off on their own once he died, but molded their companies in his image and likeness.... :rotfl:

Im with you on this one...Your right, as long as we work against each other here, it will never get better. I know one thing....I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER CROSS A STRIKE LINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why nurses get treated like you know what by the administration. They know that for every nurse who will stand up for what is right and fair, there will be plenty more who will accuse them of bieng selfish and "abandoning" the patient. I agree that all patients deserve good care, but maybe that is what those nurses are going to strike over. Maybe they aren't given adequate satffing for safe patient care. I do not mean to offend anyone, but we will always be treated as less than professionals because we act weak and don't offer full support because they can always clobber us with the "what about the patient" card even though it doesn't seem to apply to those that control the money and staffing ratio. Sorry - rant over. Good luck to those nurses who I am sure are going through a hellacious time even having to consider striking. I for one would never cross the line because these patients can be cared for elsewhere until the issue is resolved FAIRLY.

Hey great post !!!!!!!!!! I know some scab from Florida, he was with a company that sent him to a strike hospital in northern california. What a dog. He just bragged and bragged about the money.One day he might actually figure out what a scab busting scum he really is!!!!!!

I wouldn't work the recent strike in CA for ANY amount of $$$$---I know what the issue was--it had to do with management IGNORING the safe staffing law AB 394--that is, MANDATED RN to patient ratios--that took effect as of Jan. 1, 2004.

As a nurse who lives in OR but trained and worked (still works!) in CA, I know first hand how hard we worked--for over 20 years-- to get that law passed--the ONLY safe staffing, RN to patient ratio law in the NATION. I will be damned if any corporate scum, management scum, or scabs help to undo it--and I'd be a hypocrite if I was among those scum, or among those who buy into the managementspeak rationalizing scabs because "the patients deserve quality care during a work stoppage yad yada yada" (they HATE the word "strike.") Yeah, right---that's the whole reason for the strike in the FIRST place--because, thanks to management ignoring safe stffing ratios, the patients WERE NOT GETTING QUALITY CARE---managment was forcing the RNs to work in suboptimal conditions with unsafe staffing levels, resulting in conditions that would result in suboptimal patient care!!! They just don't get it!!! They just do not realize that they are cutting off their own noses to spite their faces!!

I just don't think I could EVER work a strike, ANYWHERE--each group of staff nurses has its own issues, most of which has to do with unsafe staffing and suboptimal working conditions--why go in and jeopardize their chances of being victorious? What if YOU were among that group of nurses on strike, and strangers who had no clue about why you were striking came in? They aren't coming in because they care about patient care--they are coming in because of the money. At least Tom is honest enough to admit it--he doesn't parrot the management and administration scum and babble on about "the patients deserve qualtiy care."

Every strike I've ever been on, health plan patients supported US. They came by with food, alcohol, etc. and honked--sometimes even walked the strike line--to show their support. Most of the inpatients that could be transferred were transferred. Trauma patients were diverted. OB was CLOSED, and the patients delivered elsewhere. Doctors also supported us--that is, the NURSING staff, and would not admit their patients to the hospitals in question. The docs did NOT want their patients cared for by scabs. It's like it was US--the docs and US--against management and administration.

One time--around '96-- I was working a travel assignment in CA, and a local hospital was going to strike. The nurses who came in for U.S. Nursing--who was a big strike-busting company at the time--stayed at my hotel. Man! What a sorry looking group a good many of them (not all, mind you) were! Some had greasy hair, missing or rotting teeth, dirty shoes and uniforms---you could see why these nurses had to work strikes--it was the only work they could GET----strike buster companies such as U.S. Nursing were well known for hiring "warm bodies--" they didn't particularly care about actual SKILLS.

One strike nurse had some kind of infectious skin disease--it looked like impetigo, or maybe even some other chronic Staph infection---he always wore turtlenecks to work (in ICU, mind you, where the patients could not afford to be further compromised!) so that no one would notice and send him home without pay (as I'm certain must have happened to him a time or two, at OTHER jobs.)

The owner of U.S. Nursing has since died, but I'm sure he made many millions off the backs of these "warm bodies" who mostly looked like refugees from Jerry Springer and admittedly were making more than they'd ever make on staff "back home"--that is, assuming anybody from "back home" would HIRE them.

There were others with "baggage--" i.e., compulsive gamblers, widows--OLD widows--who were left penniless, and had to go back to work (maybe hadn't worked as nurses in 30 years) and those who had shiftless, abusive or alcoholic husbands or partners and 6 or 7 kids. I remember one time when one of them somehow got her husband and kids out there and tried to hide them in her U. S. Nursing only paid for HER lodging, and hotel guests complained about these noisy, dirty, undisciplined kids who ran up and down the halls--she said that her hotel room was bigger than her entire house back home (which they rented, and which they were being evicted from--in fact, they were essentially homeless, so I don't know WHERE the husband and kids went BACK to--they had nowhere to go!) It was pretty pitiful--the kids ate at the free continental breakfast every morning as if it was their last meal--stuffing danishes, bagels, little boxes of cereal etc. in their raggedy clothes. The husband tried to hit on all the other strike AND travel nurses when his wife was not around--he thought he was quite the ladies' man.

I saw all this first hand, and would swear to it, as would my fellow travelers--the strike nurses would talk to us all the time about their lives back home, and how they thought they had it so good in CA. It really was pretty pathetic, as they were clueless as to how they were being exploited.

So is there a strike at this hospital??? Isn' t this NJ??

We are on strike and have been since Dec. 15. I'm in St. Louis at St. John's Mercy Medical Center.

So is there a strike at this hospital??? Isn' t this NJ??
Specializes in ER, ICU, L&D, OR.
Hey great post !!!!!!!!!! I know some scab from Florida, he was with a company that sent him to a strike hospital in northern california. What a dog. He just bragged and bragged about the money.One day he might actually figure out what a scab busting scum he really is!!!!!!

Well lets not get to personal here, Remember a Scab is formed to heal wounds not to fester them

And from my point of view Ive never been unhappy making a little extra scab money here and there/ So yall keep up the good effort and keep striking, I love a good strike. And even better good strike money

Perhaps we might all ponder that there's very little to be gained by labeling other nurses with such mean-spirited and hate-filled terms as "scabs."

Jim Huffman, RN

+ Add a Comment