How far do you travel to get to work? How far do you travel to get to work? - pg.5 | allnurses

LEGAL NOTICE TO THE FOLLOWING ALLNURSES SUBSCRIBERS: Pixie.RN, JustBeachyNurse, monkeyhq, duskyjewel, and LadyFree28. An Order has been issued by the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota that affects you in the case EAST COAST TEST PREP LLC v. ALLNURSES.COM, INC. Click here for more information

How far do you travel to get to work? - page 5

Hey ya'll! I'm a new grad, recently graduated this semester and I was wondering if I should apply to this position. It's an internship/ GN position for Med-surg, but the problem is that it's like... Read More

  1. Visit  danigold profile page
    #52 0
    I drive 40 minutes each way with no traffic. I find it to be relaxing and enjoyable, although the drive home is more annoying than the drive in b/c I am anxious to get home to my family.
  2. Visit  mwc1230 profile page
    #53 0
    About 5 minutes.
    Any other hospitals are an hour South or North.
  3. Visit  pugmom79 profile page
    #54 0
    20-25 each way
  4. Visit  Benedina profile page
    #55 0
    I chose an outstanding employer for my first job, but it was a 75-minute commute. I loved the job, but had to concede defeat after 4 months. (Moving is not an option.) We parted on good terms, but I regret my error in thinking I could safely sustain that kind of commute. For some people--no problem. For me--dealbreaker.

  5. Visit  poohrn33 profile page
    #56 0
    [COLOR=#003366]whitecat5000 what do you do to help with the commute? I am starting a new job at a reputable hospital. Right now the drive is about 50 mins (about 50miles). My husband and I may be moving about 1 hour away from where we are now which will turn this drive into almost 2 hours.
  6. Visit  calivianya profile page
    #57 0
    I live about 1.5 miles from work - so a five minute commute if that. I am jealous of people who feel safe walking to work - we have no sidewalks where I live so I'd have to be walking in the street. I also hate to judge a book by its cover but 90% of the people who walk are carrying all of their earthly possessions with them in shopping carts and the other 10%... well... I have never seen anyone walking who is dressed well and I see a lot of shiny handles sticking out of pockets because a lot of them are carrying. I just don't feel comfortable walking in the street with them. Where do you all live that you feel safe walking a mile? That's a pretty long way if there's nowhere you can duck inside on your way if things get hairy. 15-20 minutes is a long time to be exposed with no shelter.

    And where exactly do you put a bike at work, anyway? I obviously couldn't put it in my locker and I feel like if I left one in a parking spot someone would just steal it. It's not like there are bike racks or anything like that. I have lived in this place for ten months and I have never seen a bike rack anywhere in the entire city, not even at the local college. I don't think I've ever even seen anyone older than 10 on a bike either.

    I just picked up a PRN job that's an hour and fifteen minutes away. I really hate the commute, but I could really use the money, so it is what it is.
    Last edit by calivianya on May 16, '14