Pedi codeRegister Today!
- by ezgreazin Feb 25Had my first pede code blue yesterday. We worked a 1 month old for over an hour, little man didn't make it.
I cried a bit, came home, hugged my wife and snuggled with my dogs.
Any suggestions for putting this one to bed?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=817936©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,619 Views
- Feb 25 by itsnoworneverI'm sorry. talk to someone. My first code loss haunted me for a few months, and it was an adult. You need to find someone to talk to.
Posting from my phone, ease forgive my fat thumbs!
- Feb 25 by emtb2rnTalk to your manager, check to see if debriefing is available thru eap. Don't keep it inside.
- Feb 26 by GleeGumi'm sorry. that's hard.
journal if you do that. talk it out with someone or also with others who were there. it's not really something you forget, but important to process.
- Feb 26 by thelema13Debrief with the code team/docs, take a few days off if possible, drink some beer, get back to it.
- Feb 26 by ElvishI have friends who run, run, run on the treadmill until they can put it behind them. Sometimes it's 9, 10, 12 miles before it's gone. Sometimes they have to do it for several days.
I write. Sometimes it's a poem, sometimes it's prose. Nothing worth publishing but it gets it all out of my head.
I am so so sorry you are dealing with this. Anything to do with babies dying can really jack with your mind.
- Mar 4 by ezgreazinUpdate
debriefed with others in on the code, then spoke about it with the doc and house sup some more. Surfed, played golf with my buddy who pushed meds, and got some good sleep.
Feeling much better. Glad this experience is out of the way.
Thanks all who shared your knowledge.
- Mar 6 by Rhi007I had similar on Tuesday except mine was a 20yr old and I was with the doc when he told the family
- Mar 12 by Esme12I hate pedi codes...they are NEVER good.....It's a tough job in the ED. We very seldom deliver news to make someone happy.
My therapy was to snuggle my dog when I had no children, snuggle my husband and dog when I had no children. To snuggle my children, dog and husband when I had all three and to be sure I always said I love you, never go to bed angry, be thankful for the simple things and thank god for my blessed life for that is my belief/faith.
Imake sure that I am always the best me I can be. That I give the care that I would want my family to receive and to make their walk through horror as unmemorable as possible by being thoughtful and kind.
Know that you did your best and say a prayer for the family. If that isn't your thing....send positive peaceful thought that you hope they find a way through their pain to find some semblance of acceptance and peace. Talk it over with those who were there...get it out.
((HUGS)) Sometime our jobs really stink.
- Mar 17 by Bobmo88I'd like to say that Pedi codes get easier but that would be a lie. Telling a parent "there is no more we can do for your child" is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. Talking it out with your coworkers helps and my ways of dealing with tough days at work include running, hitting my punching bag, playing basketball, listening to music and having a beer or two if all else fails. Glad you are feeling better, hang in there!