Jump to content

Was the job offer turned down?.

xyfy xyfy (New) New


I don't know which category this falls but you're freely to move it elsewhere when needed. Thank You.

Here's my story:

Few days ago I was interviewed for a position and then was given a job offer thru email indicating the base salary. I haven't accepted the offer and I politely emailed back informing that I have reviewed the offer and that I thank them for it. However I informed them that I was offered more in another company and requested them if they can review my education, skills, experiences and certification and see if they can match the offer. I told them I'm really interested with their company but Im just curious if they might consider some things again so I can be offered a better pay before I can decide.

On the same day, I got a short reply. I was thanked for the update and she wished me luck on my new job position.

The employer didn't mention anything about my request of possible consideration on pay. Does that mean she let me go? I feel like calling her to clarify but I don't want to sound stupid not knowing if her message is a cue that they can't review my file and possibly match the offer. At the same time I feel like im in denial that she "MAYBE" my email was not read all the way and that detail was missed.

Ohhhhh my can someone please tell me if I screw up and which part of it so I can avoid this from happening again.

Thank You. Pls I need your thoughts!

meanmaryjean, DNP, RN

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia. Has 40 years experience.

She let you go.

How to avoid in future: Negotiate in person IF it's really the deciding factor.

WookieeRN, BSN, RN

Specializes in PACU. Has 3 years experience.

She definitely let you go. You should've negotiated this before it got to the job offer status (i.e. the interview) and not after the job as been offered. She decided to go the polite way, and congratulated you on taking the other position with the other company.

Wolf at the Door

Has 7 years experience.

I find it weird the job offer was made through email with no call. I would call them next time with my request.

Meriwhen, ASN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

You were set free. The employer may not have wanted or was unable to negotiate. Or they did review your chart and didn't find anything in there that would justify (to them) changing their original offer.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear. Best of luck in the job hunt.

Meriwhen, ASN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

I find it weird the job offer was made through email with no call. I would call them next time with my request.

Not that unusual: my first job in California (major hospital corporation) began with an e-mailed job offer. I don't know if/when they were planning to call, as I called them immediately after seeing the message.

But I agree with you: OP should have called to negotiate and not tried to do it via e-mail.

Email is a convenient substitute for face to face encounter when delivering bad news and avoiding confrontation. Speak to people in person when you have questions or objections or items that need further clarification.

Thanks for the response! I have logged in to their application database and saw that they have tagged my application as "Declined Contingent Offer". Few months passed, I was called by a receptionist that I can still reapply if ever I would be interested again with the same pay rate.