Jump to content

Transferring WGU Credits

Posted

I am super interested in getting my MSN (leadership) from WGU. I love that it's all online and I can work at my own pace (I know, I sound like a commercial LOL). But I do have two concerns and wanted everyone's opinion and experiences: 

1. Since it is pass/fail, will I have difficulty transferring my credits to another institution (like if I wanted to roll my MSN into a DNP)? Anyone have experience with this?

2. Since it's online, of course there are some people who are skeptical about the "value" of the degree. Has anyone either gotten or not gotten a job because of the WGU name? Or any experience where the reputation of the school has affected you (good or bad)?

 

Thanks for your input! 

topaz1100, BSN, MSN

Specializes in Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant. Has 7 years experience.

Hi, 

I have not worked many places as a nurse but I did ask my current employer if my degree would be recognized if obtained from WGU...they said yes.  I was also able to get accepted to a couple of FNP programs.  I finish my FNP program May 2021.  I got my RN-MSN from WGU.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 6:32 AM, jnemartin said:

I am super interested in getting my MSN (leadership) from WGU. I love that it's all online and I can work at my own pace (I know, I sound like a commercial LOL). But I do have two concerns and wanted everyone's opinion and experiences: 

1. Since it is pass/fail, will I have difficulty transferring my credits to another institution (like if I wanted to roll my MSN into a DNP)? Anyone have experience with this?

2. Since it's online, of course there are some people who are skeptical about the "value" of the degree. Has anyone either gotten or not gotten a job because of the WGU name? Or any experience where the reputation of the school has affected you (good or bad)?

 

Thanks for your input! 

 

gfrivera89, LVN, RN

Has 8 years experience.

@topaz1100

you mentioned you were able to transfer your wgu credits and accepted to a few other FNP programs. do you mind sharing which programs accepted wgu transfer credits?

On 12/16/2020 at 4:21 PM, topaz1100 said:

Hi, 

I have not worked many places as a nurse but I did ask my current employer if my degree would be recognized if obtained from WGU...they said yes.  I was also able to get accepted to a couple of FNP programs.  I finish my FNP program May 2021.  I got my RN-MSN from WGU.

 

I got my BSN in December and I'm looking to get a FNP; not that interested in DNP. From what I've found, BSN-FNP has just around 20 more credits compared to MSN-FNP.  WGU's BSN-MSN is 36 units so it really doesn;t make sense to me to do WGU. Has anyone else looked into this and does this sound correct?

topaz1100, BSN, MSN

Specializes in Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant. Has 7 years experience.

  Hi, 

I was looking for a post graduate certificate and I made it to the interview process for Gardner Webb University but was  accepted to Duke so decided to attend Duke's program.  I graduate Saturday!!

I also applied to Simmons University and Baylor. 

On 12/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, gfrivera89 said:

@topaz1100

you mentioned you were able to transfer your wgu credits and accepted to a few other FNP programs. do you mind sharing which programs accepted wgu transfer credits?

 

LouRN

Specializes in long term nurse and med surg for many many years.. Has 44 years experience.

Im looking at the RN-MSN into education.  Anyone familiar with the tuition part in this program.

WGU is around $4K each term (6 months and you can complete as many classes as you want in each term)