Total career change

Published

Any nurses who have changed their career entirely? I am so over it. I've been a nurse for about 10 years, mostly in Pediatrics - perioperative (pre-op/pacu), including same-day surgery, OR, Radiology, urgent care, and triage nurse. I have no bedside experience, as I was never interested in it. I am at a burnout point. I am honestly thinking of changing my career as I am still young and have many years ahead of me, I have lost interest in what I do. I have applied to many case management positions to get away from the hospital setting but have had NO LUCK, and I guess it's because my experience is specialized (unlike a med/surg or ICU). What else can I transition to outside of nursing?

Peachpit

128 Posts

Has 33 years experience.

Apply to insurance companies for case management/remote/telephonic nurse positions. Amedisys Home Health and Amedisys Hospice hires CTC's (care transition coordinators) and bedside nursing is not a requirement.

You could also look to state surveyor positions or nursing education positions at assisted livings or long term care facilities.

Specializes in School Nursing, Pediatrics. Has 33 years experience.

Look into school nursing, that is what I did, and its so much better! Though pay is low at first, eventually you will catch up. 

ThePrincessBride, MSN, RN, NP

1 Article; 2,592 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, NICU. Has 8 years experience.

I became an NP. Not really a career change, but it beats 25 to life at the bedside.

If I didn't pursue an NP career, I would have gotten my master's in library science and become a librarian or a master's in finance and help manage company 401ks.

Specializes in LTC.
ThePrincessBride said:

I became an NP. Not really a career change, but it beats 25 to life at the bedside.

If I didn't pursue an NP career, I would have gotten my master's in library science and become a librarian or a master's in finance and help manage company 401ks.

How come I can't send you a private message on here? Do you have them disabled?

Has 2 years experience.

You have to have a certain level membership to send a private message in other words you have to pay 😂

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

6 Articles; 11,269 Posts

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development. Has 18 years experience.
Joye Zelaya said:

You have to have a certain level membership to send a private message in other words you have to pay 😂

Private messages are available immediately to premium members, but are also available to all members once they have 15 quality posts.

Has 2 years experience.
Rose_Queen said:

Private messages are available immediately to premium members, but are also available to all members once they have 15 quality posts.

Oh I just learned how to post today lmbo now I can't stop 😂

Has 2 years experience.
ThePrincessBride said:

I became an NP. Not really a career change, but it beats 25 to life at the bedside.

If I didn't pursue an NP career, I would have gotten my master's in library science and become a librarian or a master's in finance and help manage company 401ks.

OMG I 😘 ve 25 to life at the bedside I did 26 in corrections now I'm at the VA with a unit full of PTSD. I feel like I worked backwards this is way more work than corrections