Jump to content

Southwestern College ADN Fall 2021

Posted

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

Starting a thread for applicants of the ADN program at Southwestern College for Fall 2021. 

I was sent an email confirming my application was received by the nursing department this week. 

I believe my points are 87 if they accept my life experiences and special circumstances. 

With past semesters stats, I’m not too worried about my position. I might apply at Grossmont and City, but I prefer Southwestern because of their partnership with SDSU (PLNU has a poor NCLEX pass rate 😬).

***Please read the Southwestern nursing department web site for common questions such as: when to expect acceptance, prerequisites, start dates, etc. “To be a nurse takes initiative!”***

Remember anxiety will not speed up the process or increase your odds of acceptance 😁

merik_eden

Has 2 years experience.

Hii! I am applying for fall 2021 as well. Where did you find past semesters stats? I’m applying with 86 points as long as they accept my documents as well. I’ve been curious as to what the normal stats are but couldn’t find that info anywhere!

Alexandria

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

1 hour ago, merik_eden said:

Hii! I am applying for fall 2021 as well. Where did you find past semesters stats? I’m applying with 86 points as long as they accept my documents as well. I’ve been curious as to what the normal stats are but couldn’t find that info anywhere!

I found threads on this site for several past semesters and averaged the point cut off to be around low 80’s to high 70’s. Over 85 points seems to be a guarantee. 

merik_eden

Has 2 years experience.

Okay that’s great to hear!! We should be good then. Where else are you applying?

Hi all!

I’ll be applying with 92-ish points. Of course 92 is my best case scenario assuming they accept everything.
BA degree (+5 pts), CNA license (+25 pts), Science GPA (+25 pts), Fixed Set (+10 pts), Life Experience points (maybe +5 pts?), TEAS (+22 pts). 
 

Southwestern is my top choice. Looking to use the SDSU partnership for my BSN; I’d like to avoid PLNU if I can. Good luck everyone!

Alexandria

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, merik_eden said:

Okay that’s great to hear!! We should be good then. Where else are you applying?

I am applying to City due to ease (did my prerequisites within SDCCD), and it’s one bus trip from my home. I am not sure about Grossmont because of their sociology requirement. I took anthropology to satisfy my GE which is usually an alternative to sociology. I might apply to Mira Coasta, but I live near the zoo 😬 that would be quite the commute!

What about you (or anyone)? Any alternative schools?

Alexandria

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

My breakdown is:

CNA (25), GPA (30 + 8), life experiences (4), TEAS (22).

So I actually have 89 points. I got mixed up after reading through several college point systems that day! Some look at total GPA, not “fixed”. My overall GPA isn’t great. I call it my “prior to giving a you-know-what” era 😜

Edited by Alexandria

JenCST619, CNA

Specializes in Certified surgical technologist.

Southwestern is my top choice of schools too. 
I’m applying with 91 points as long as they take all my documentation. I did their surgical technologist program and really liked the campus. I was also going to apply to National but I would rather give myself a chance at swcc before committing to the student debt. I am also trying for Grossmont but my points are to low I think. An I haven’t heard to many positive things about city college so I’m hesitant to try but we’ll see. I’m submitting my application this week. Then the real fun begins, the wait haha 

Hi all!

I am applying with 86 points, and am feeling discouraged. :/ I heard this cohort has received a lot more applications than usual, so I'm not sure if I have enough points. I am trying to find on the website when they notify, but all I see is "before the fall semester". Does anyone know what month they usually let us know?

I'm curious to see what everyone's points are! 

Alexandria

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

50 minutes ago, twinmama182 said:

Hi all!

I am applying with 86 points, and am feeling discouraged. 😕 I heard this cohort has received a lot more applications than usual, so I'm not sure if I have enough points. I am trying to find on the website when they notify, but all I see is "before the fall semester". Does anyone know what month they usually let us know?

I'm curious to see what everyone's points are! 

Nursing programs will typically notify applicants of their status in April or May. I wouldn’t worry about it until than. The application period hasn’t even closed yet. 
 

And while they might have a lot of applications this year, it doesn’t mean they’re “quality” applicants. I understand that loads of people felt “moved” to apply for nursing schools despite never wanting to attend pre-pandemic. Unfortunately, those people usually take a spot from a well-deserved student, and end up failing/dropping out. 

Edited by Alexandria

Alexandria

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

1 hour ago, JenCST619 said:

Southwestern is my top choice of schools too. 
I’m applying with 91 points as long as they take all my documentation. I did their surgical technologist program and really liked the campus. I was also going to apply to National but I would rather give myself a chance at swcc before committing to the student debt. I am also trying for Grossmont but my points are to low I think. An I haven’t heard to many positive things about city college so I’m hesitant to try but we’ll see. I’m submitting my application this week. Then the real fun begins, the wait haha 

I went through National for something different a couple years ago. Absolute hot mess over there. And they require a ton of courses that you can only take with them (because they invented them), so you’re forced to spend A LOT of money before you even get into the nursing program/graduate. They are super impacted too because they don’t require any type of Chemistry or Microbiology as prerequisites. Tragic if you ask me. 
 

City would be purely for convenience since its 7 bus stops away from my home. I am very eco-conscious. They have had some awesome NCLEX pass rates lately (I believe 100% last year), so I’m comfortable with what they teach at least. 

Edited by Alexandria

JenCST619, CNA

Specializes in Certified surgical technologist.

I did the National classes and felt like I was 100% on my own. An I’m getting a bad feeling too because a few of my friends who did their program still don’t have a job as an nurse. Makes me thinks somethings wrong. It’s only a last chance effort if I can’t get in anywhere else and even then I think I’d have to think hard about it 😕 

Alexandria

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

35 minutes ago, JenCST619 said:

I did the National classes and felt like I was 100% on my own. An I’m getting a bad feeling too because a few of my friends who did their program still don’t have a job as an nurse. Makes me thinks somethings wrong. It’s only a last chance effort if I can’t get in anywhere else and even then I think I’d have to think hard about it 😕 

I have heard from some NU BSN graduates that employers look down on you if you attended that school. They consider it a degree mill, not a true school that will prepare you for nursing. 

JenCST619, CNA

Specializes in Certified surgical technologist.

I’ve heard the same thing. That’s really discouraging 😕 

Hello everyone!

My breakdown is:

CNA + AA (30), GPA 25 + 10, Life experiences (4) if all accepeted, Language verification (3) and TEAS (15)

Total=87 points

Hey guys I will be applying to the nursing program cohort coming up. For your guys physical did it matter if a NP does it or a physician. 

 

 

Alexandria

Specializes in Acute Care CNA.

As long as the person who did your physical is in a “provider” role, and physicals are within their scope of practice, it is fine. A PA did my physical. 
 

Do you mind sharing your points for future cohorts?

Hi guys, 

I’m taking the TEAS on Monday. Any tips? 😫 I’ve been stressing like crazy.  I would like to apply and I know the deadline is sooo close.