Jump to content

what does this sign mean?


Specializes in LTC.


thank you


Specializes in LTC.

when a doctor writes an order?


Specializes in Telemetry, Med-Surg.

Im not sure about that sign and I'm assuming it's not a % sign. Maybe his/her handwriting is really bad. It LOOKS like the sign for the number 1 when writing 1 tab/cap/gram/etc. It is 1 dot over a horizontal line over 1 vertical line. It is hard to replicate it on here but it looks like .l- but turned 90 degrees. If the doc was writing the number 2 he/she would put :l= (turn 90 degrees). The number 3 would be 3 dots over a horizontal line and 3 vertical bars. This is just a guess as to what your doc was writing. I'd have to see the chart. Anyone else wanna chime in?

is it a "grain"? , .. agree-- its hard to tell here.

PsychNurseWannaBe, BSN, RN

Specializes in LTC, Nursing Management, WCC. Has 13 years experience.

Would need to know the context of its use in order to help. Otherwise I have no clue.


Specializes in ED. Has 10 years experience.

It looks like a percentage sign to me. Some people just use dots instead of little circles and it might just have a slightly misplaced left dot. Clear as mud?


SkiingCait, BSN, RN

Specializes in ER, ED.

Is this on a handwritten prescription? Are you trying to type out a dot with a horizontal line under it, with another slash below that (kind of like a division sign?) If so, some doc's will write that to mean 1 tab (with the number of dots and slashes under the line indicating how many tabs).

If that's not what you mean, sorry!