Nursing Admission Dilemma

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hello everyone, I'm new here so I wasnt sure where to post this. I'm kind of having a dilemma and need some input. I only found out recently that I was accepted into a BSN program which I am truly happy and excited about. I applied to other several schools also. When I applied to this program, I knew the prerequisites required and registered for the courses. Sometime midterm I dropped it due to financial reasons. A month later I receive a letter from the school stating I was accepted. On NursingCAS, it mentions I could have the prereqs in progress at the time of application and must successfully complete it upon entering the first semester of nursing school. Now I'm freaking out because I already accepted the offer and have everything ready. Once I submit my final transcripts to the school they will find out I withdrew from the prereq course. Has anyone been in this situation? What happened to them?

It says on NursingCAS that once offers have been sent out, that admissions are final. I'm hoping I could make up for it and take that pre-req along with the nursing course.

It makes me sad to think that I'm finally going to achieve my goal and dreams just to get pulled out because of this.

Specializes in Ambulatory Care-Family Medicine.

If you don't have the pre reqs done as required you will most likely forfeit your seat in the program. You were accepted on the condition that your pre reqs would be completed by the start of the program and have not completed them.

Specializes in CCRN.

When is the program suppose to start? How many classes do you need to have completed before that time? Is there anyway you can complete the class before the program starts?

I would highly recommend that you contact someone in the admissions department as soon as you can and see what your options are.

Hello thank you for your response. A&P1 lab is required, however I've completed the lecture in the past. It's supposed to start late January, I've tried looking for intersession course but since it's a lab I don't know if that's possible. I could maybe try finding a place that would have it before the start of semester.

bugya90 - I was given a paper to sign that gives me an option to accept or decline the offer, I accepted of course. Im not sure if that makes a difference, but do you know of any cases where a school has made an exception and let the student take the prereq concurrently with the nursing courses?

The paper you signed was just telling the school that you wanted the spot and weren't planning on going to another school.

I have personally never heard of a nursing school making an exception to their required pre reqs, especially if it is listed out on their website and/or application requirements. With how many people apply to nursing schools each semester there is always a line of people waiting to take the place of someone who hasn't met the minimum qualifications. The other thing is what if they make an exception and you fail whatever pre req you're missing. The school would then have to drop you from the program and that is a seat that could have gone to the next person in line.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, just trying to give you a honest viewpoint. Call the school and see what the nursing admins tell you. Ultimately it is their decision, however be prepared to be told your acceptance is being rescinded. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Yeah, pretty much all "acceptance" into nursing programs are conditional acceptances. They are made on the assumption that you will be completing the requirements before the start of the program, including prereqs. I also haven't heard of a program making an exception for this type of thing, but the only way you can know 100% is if you ask them directly.

I imagine it's way better for you if you bring this up to them yourself than it will be if they find out via your transcripts. They will view you better, I think, and if you talk with them, you're going to have more of a chance to find some type of solution. They may let you defer until next semester. Or they may have a solution for the lab that you haven't thought of.

The paper you signed was just telling the school that you wanted the spot and weren't planning on going to another school.

I have personally never heard of a nursing school making an exception to their required pre reqs,

I have. So there is still hope for him.

The easiest answer is to just call the school and explain the situation. I know that there are some out there that make exceptions, and some that you can take your prereqs while in the program, especially BSN programs.

Hey guys, thanks everyone for giving me your input. I ended up contacting the school and they do make exceptions for my case. I could take the prerequisite concurrently with the nursing courses. I was relieved to find out about this. For those who gave me the advice to call and check, I appreciate your input.

I have personally never heard of a nursing school making an exception to their required pre reqs, especially if it is listed out on their website and/or application requirements. With how many people apply to nursing schools each semester there is always a line of people waiting to take the place of someone who hasn't met the minimum qualifications. The other thing is what if they make an exception and you fail whatever pre req you're missing. The school would then have to drop you from the program and that is a seat that could have gone to the next person in line.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, just trying to give you a honest viewpoint. Call the school and see what the nursing admins tell you. Ultimately it is their decision, however be prepared to be told your acceptance is being rescinded. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Hi, I wanted to let you know I'm not out of the program. I appreciate your input

Hi, I wanted to let you know I'm not out of the program. I appreciate your input

Great! I'm happy it all worked out.

Great! I'm happy it all worked out.

Thank you! I'm happy as well :) and excited

Specializes in Peri-op.

Is there time for you to enroll in this course online and complete it? Some places do start online courses "anytime" and you can complete it at your own pace.

P.S. Just saw you are in. Good luck!

+ Add a Comment