RN volunteering at the border?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Disclaimer: Hateful rhetoric about how human beings asking for asylum deserved to be tear gassed will not be tolerated, nor will nonsense about their status. This is a post seeking information

I would really like to go down to the border for a few days to help out the people arriving from the south Is there ANY organized efforts to meet people and provide medical care?

I saw an article about some docs from UCLA medical center who crossed the border the other day, but beyond that nothing

Anyone??

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
Red Cross doesn't use nurses as clinicians.

The OP did not specify that he/she was a clinician. Red cross does utilize nurses in their relief efforts.

Hppy

Specializes in MCH,NICU,NNsy,Educ,Village Nursing.

I would think you would need to be licensed in the state that you would help in, number 1. Number 2, don't go by yourself for reasons mentioned by various posters. What you want to do is admirable, but act wisely.

Specializes in Tele, OB, public health.

thanks everyone for your suggestions- after speaking with my husband, I will probably have to shelve this idea for now- I'm the primary care giver for my 2 year old, and as there are no large groups organizing an effort like this (i.e the Red Cross) the logistics aren't doable right now- I hope that changes in the near future

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.

Red Cross uses nurses more in a case management role in relief operations.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
Red Cross uses nurses more in a case management role in relief operations.

I have been a Red Cross volunteer for years never did more than 1st aid during local crises fires, earthquakes - I have never been able to go when called for bigger emergencies dou to other commitments.

Hppy

+ Add a Comment