Commute!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am seriously considering a job at a hospital 70 miles one way.

Seeking the wisdom of anyone who's done a super commute for 12 hour shifts.

It's a position I am very interested in on a well-staffed unit at a Level II hospital. I am getting frustrated with no parking available for staff where I work; we are bussed in daily and I have to leave my house an hour early to catch or miss a crowded bus where I am smushed like a sardine.

Thank you all for your continued very helpful comments.

It is 70 miles of straight road with 1 stoplight 35 miles in, and then 1 about 30 miles after that.

I might try to do some per diem work to satisfy my curiosity for working at this hospital :)

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Thank you all for your continued very helpful comments.

It is 70 miles of straight road with 1 stoplight 35 miles in, and then 1 about 30 miles after that.

I might try to do some per diem work to satisfy my curiosity for working at this hospital :)

If you're going to commute 70 miles, that might be the best 70 mile commute.

I think it's doable, but not sustainable. As in, do it for long enough to identify a co-worker with a spare bedroom who would let you spend two nights a week for rent, for rides to work, on the barter system, whatever. I've known several folks who made this work. Work three 12s in a row, and stay over after the first and second 12 hour shift; then drive home after the third.

If you like the job, consider selling your house and buying another closer to work.

Specializes in NICU, RNC.

I relocated from the city to acreage in the middle of nowhere. It's gorgeous, surrounded by rivers, lakes, and mountains. I'm a NICU RN non-negotiable, I will not work in any other specialty. The closest NICU is 95 miles away from my home, which equates to about 2 hours in good weather. My manager lets me work 6-on, 8-off and I rent a room in town on the days that I work. It has worked out great for me. I get to do what I love, and I get to live in a gorgeous location that most people only get to visit when they're on vacation. Plus, I adore my new roommates that I found. It is a win-win situation for sure.

Just something you might consider. There is no way in heck I'd commute even an hour each way, I wouldn't be able to function.

+ Add a Comment