Are you a "Sister?"

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Should we keep the "sister" designation?

No, it's antiquated and unnecessary
      Yes, it's part of our tradition
      I have never heard it used in nursing
      I don't know

100 members have participated

In many areas of nursing, I hear nurses call each other "sister". As a man in nursing, they call me and other male nurses "brother." I work in the U.S. but I know it's actually more common in other countries. From what I have read, the "sister" designation comes from Catholic nuns who ran hospital wards and were referred to as "the Sister." Also, I read that in some countries in Europe nurses are not called "nurses" but "sisters."

Regardless of the origins, what do you think of this practice? Is it used where you work? Should it be kept? I think it helps keep nursing a unique and tightly-knit field by conveying the idea that fellow nurses are sisters, and brothers.

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

I found patients in those countries (and the UK) to be much more appreciative and less demanding than americans. Also, it was almost mandatory for patients to leave the nurses a box of chocolates when they were discharged!

Mind you, that was a while ago - things could be different now.

Yes there are still days I confiscate chocolate off the staff when they have had 2 or 3 boxes from patients. Put it in my assistant manager office for the next shift so nights etc. get a share as well. However if I am doing rosters having access to free chocolate is dangerous!

We have a large SE European patient cohort so often get baklava and other home baked treats as well as chocolates and I do love a fruit bouquet!

To me it is more a term of endearment, I call many of my close friends brother and sister so I think it would be cool to do this at work also.

Exactly. It is not uncommon in some cultures. My colleagues from African countries sometimes call me sister. I like it and don't understand how anyone could be offended

Our unit is crazy busy and chaotic. Sometimes all we have is each other .

Sisters in nursing, sisters in life, though not used much at work, I still love it."...cause she scratches my head out when I was ailin'..." :yes:

Specializes in Emergency Department.
I like it and don't understand how anyone could be offended.

Because it is sexist, patronising, old fashioned and unprofessional. As I stated earlier in this thread, it reminds us of a time when nurses were the handmaidens of the doctor or worse still when women were only able to function as part of, or were thought to be part of, a religious order.

I understand that some people may feel it brings them together - it doesn't, it introduces another barrier between people.

Because it is sexist, patronising, old fashioned and unprofessional. As I stated earlier in this thread, it reminds us of a time when nurses were the handmaidens of the doctor or worse still when women were only able to function as part of, or were thought to be part of, a religious order.

I understand that some people may feel it brings them together - it doesn't, it introduces another barrier between people.

Agree to disagree. It really is reflective of a different culture....

Specializes in Advanced Practice, surgery.
Agree to disagree. It really is reflective of a different culture....

grumpyrn is from the UK so working a culture where the terms are used frequently.

+ Add a Comment