If you DO NOT teach health classes at your school

Specialties School

Published

I am curious to hear who teaches the health curriculum in your school if it is not you. I currently teach a curriculum I designed myself to K-3, but it is more when I have the time or if a teacher is out and needs someone to cover, etc. My son is in 7th grade and I was surprised to learn the the two school nurses in his school are only there to be nurses and do not teach the health education class, they have a separate Health teacher who teaches that class. I love the teaching aspect of my job and curious what your schools do for health education if it is not you who teaches those classes. I would love to move away from the admin responsibilities without losing patient/student contact. My current school is growing and my student population will go from K-3 this year, to K-8 next Fall :nailbiting:, growing from 488 students to over 1,000 :arghh: My director and I are meeting this week to discuss long-term goals for me and I am definitely going to talk about the possibility of starting a health education curriculum and possibly passing the nurse torch to someone else.

I would love to hear more about the health education curriculum in your school and who teaches the classes, their certification/degree, etc.

Specializes in School Nurse.

Health classes are part of our PE curriculum and those teachers handle it.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Our is handled by the PE/Health teachers. I'm suppose to help out this year, but I'm not sure how.

I'm curious. What age group(s) have this required program? Is the curriculum such that it is taught without any of the knowledge that students who will not abstain could use?

This is for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades but the outside program we're using also has a high school program. It does teach the anatomy and function of the reproductive systems as well as discusses different situations where a kiddo may want to create boundaries and the consequences of their choices. Whether they choose to abstain or not. However, the State of Texas (where I'm at) requires we teach abstinence as opposed to sex ed. It does discuss STI's, STD's, pregnancy etc. etc. but the main focus is abstinence and building healthy relationships.

My school offers a mental health and a physical health curriculum, but this is at a university. In HS & JH it was my biology teacher and Gym teacher

+ Add a Comment