Are all agencies this messed up?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

A little background- I'm a former high school teacher and EMT-B with lots of ambulance experience that recently started RN school at a community college. I applied to two places. One of them required that you be a CNA; one of them added points if you were. So I became a CNA and saw a craigslist add by an agency for CNAs (and LPNs and RNs) and applied figuring that it would be good to get some experience on the books and being a CNA while in school would only make me a better RN.

So anyway, they sent me to a place IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE. Check out this aerial shot. Yes, there is a town there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27516&stc=1

I was staying in a slightly larger town 20 miles away. I worked 0600--1800 and drove back to the hotel. There was a restaurant across the street. I had dinner and a margarita. They weren't messing around with their pours. It was about two and a half margaritas. I had to be back at the place to work again at 0600. I crack a beer and turn on the HBO. By the way, I was not on call.

Half way through my beer my phone rings. It's the agency. "Can you go back in and work the night shift. I know you have to work at 0600, but somebody had to go home."

"Sorry," I says cheerfully, "I had a margarita with dinner and I'm actually drinking a beer right now. I can't go in."

"Well, at least I tried" says the person and hangs up.

Two minutes later my phone rings again. It's some boss lady. She barely even says hello.

"We need you to go right back in there."

"No way," I says, "like I told the other lady, I had a margarita just a bit ago and you guys called me while I was drinking a Guinness."

"You don't even want to try?" She says in a whiny voice.

My jaw drops. I say, "I don't even know what that means. I shouldn't even drive right now let alone take care of patients."

"Ok, fine" and she hangs up on me.

-------------

When I got picked up by this agency it seemed like a great gig. They pay 18/hour where as the regulars at the places I go to make 10.25--12/hour. And since I'm a student I can just take some weekend shifts and call it good. I had thought that this would be a great back up and an instant fall-back job when I become an RN, but now I'm sure they would just send me into deep water with my legs tied if it got them paid. "You don't even want to try to swim with just your arms for a couple hours?"

It's no stress for me because I can say "no" and I don't let people push me around. But damn, these folks are straight up unethical. Is this the norm?

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics.

No, not all are like that. But the bad ones are out there.

The first Home Health Agency (for private duty nursing) that I tried as a nurse tried to send me to work before they even saw my nursing license or called any of my references. I ran.

Yeah, they're out there.

No, not all are like that. But the bad ones are out there.

The first Home Health Agency (for private duty nursing) that I tried as a nurse tried to send me to work before they even saw my nursing license or called any of my references. I ran.

Yeah, they're out there.

And consider this-- even if they weren't trying to bully me into going to work intoxicated, they were asking me to work a 36 hour shift because I would have had to work my scheduled shift right after the night shift.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

It sounds like a pretty good deal for you financially -- and they didn't seem too angry when you said, "No." Just keep remembering to say "No" consistently to requests that aren't reasonable, safe, etc. If they ever try to bully you to go in when you don't want to ... resign.

Just a bit of advice.

You don't ever need to give an explanation of why you can't cover a shift and you are not painting yourself a very good picture if you are telling them you are too drunk to work. A simple no, or let it go to voicemail would be better.

If they are ever looking for a scapegoat they may remember this conversation and use it against you.

Best wishes with this new job!

+ Add a Comment