Should I tell my manager I applied internally?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello! I have been a new nurse on telemetry for only 6 months. I finished The new grad residency program a month ago. I am now independent. My manager has been extremely supportive since I had difficulty with time management and prioritization before transitioning to be without my preceptor. I was also hired for nights initially, but she knew I wanted days, so she told me about a day shift position when it opened online, and she hired me for full time days, which was such a blessing. I'm also on Probation with the CA BRN for some criminal convictions that happened over 12 years ago (Long before I went to nursing school). My manager has really supported me through the probation program and given me this chance to build an excellent foundation for my career.

Yesterday, I was looking at per diem jobs to consider working in addition, and I saw a job for labor and delivery, full time days (RN II). Note, I literally just became RN II this week, so I barely qualify. Plus that's a specialty and I ahave hardly gotten comfortable on tele. tele is hard, I don't know if I want to do it forever. Anyway, I applied for the L & D position even though my gut says to stay on tele for 1-2 years before moving on. I also feel like my manger would be upset since she's invested so much time to support and educate me in order to be an asset to the tele floor. What's your opinion? Withdrawal my application for now and stay where I'm at? Or just kindly mention to her that I applied for my dream job just because I saw it posted? I recently applied to get off probation early so I'm hoping my license won't have restrictions soon as well. Thanks for your advice!

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

I think you should stay on for 2 years. Your department is going to take a loss if you leave. If my boss did all that I would stay on, but when I first started they asked us that in the beginning if we could stay at least 1.5 years. I just peaked up and saw you decided to stay. I think you made the right choice. There is so much more to a job than it being the "right" specialty. Who knows maybe you'd hate L and D or the manager might be terrible or the work environment might suck. I think something better will open up when it's time.

Specializes in school nurse.

...you made the right decision.:yes:

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get RN II? For my facility you have to have at least two years experience to be a RN II.

Hi. At our facility, RN II is after 6 months .

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

I'm late to the conversation, but I vote STAY!!!!!!!!

Just an FYI at a lot of facilities, your manager and directors actually do know when you apply internally for another position. They're not allowed to speak on it but they know via a quick email or notice through the system whenever someone in their dept applies internally for another position.

Specializes in Dialysis.

OP, I was wondering if the RN II for the L&D required 6 months exerience as a L&D nurse? Also, at what time frames are you allowed to transfer? Most hospitals are at 6 months, but some want the new nurse to wait until 6 months after completion of orientation. Just some things to ponder as you branch out in your career. Good luck!

+ Add a Comment