Harrison closing

Nurses General Nursing

Published

What happened with Harrison College? They just closed there doors out of no where.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Harrison, like so many of the for-profits, had a business model that was unsustainable once the feds put consumer protection restrictions on student loan borrowing. My university is putting together a plan this weekend to help those students that we can in terms of expedited enrollment and scholarships. We did the same thing with ITT Tech a couple years ago.

This is why so many of us here at AN warn folks away from the for-profits. And Harrison was actually one of the better ones until they sold out to ACS a couple years back. They were originally a business school- and I have worked with grads of their program who attended before the sale. They got a decent education and were competent RNs. Sad for the human costs of this.

Are you in Indiana? I went to Fortis and we all thought this was going to happen and everyone fled to Harrison. Now they will have to go back to Fortis. I was told Harrison got bought out but I assume that school would not be accredited.

Are you in Indiana? I went to Fortis and we all thought this was going to happen and everyone fled to Harrison. Now they will have to go back to Fortis. I was told Harrison got bought out but I assume that school would not be accredited.

Stay far away from Fortis- they are also for-profit and on thin ice.

and yes, I'm in Indiana. The only for-profit in IN that is remotely stable is Chamberlain- but they are so wicked expensive. I work for in the prelicensure program.

Specializes in hospice, LTC, public health, occupational health.

Aren't there any community colleges in Indiana?

I was lucky enough to graduate from Fortis and pass boards and that was over a year ago. The students behind me aren't so lucky.

Yes..one. And it's nursing program is as competitive as A 4 year university.

Specializes in Pedi.
Harrison, like so many of the for-profits, had a business model that was unsustainable once the feds put consumer protection restrictions on student loan borrowing. My university is putting together a plan this weekend to help those students that we can in terms of expedited enrollment and scholarships. We did the same thing with ITT Tech a couple years ago.

This is why so many of us here at AN warn folks away from the for-profits. And Harrison was actually one of the better ones until they sold out to ACS a couple years back. They were originally a business school- and I have worked with grads of their program who attended before the sale. They got a decent education and were competent RNs. Sad for the human costs of this.

I had no idea ITT tech had shut down until I saw this post. I guess I just never noticed I wasn't seeing their commercials anymore.

Harrison, like so many of the for-profits, had a business model that was unsustainable once the feds put consumer protection restrictions on student loan borrowing.

That's surprising considering all the news about Betsy DeVos removing restrictions on students rights and modifying many things that are crucial for students. She has a very bad rep from what I've been seeing lately.

Specializes in hospice, LTC, public health, occupational health.
That's surprising considering all the news about Betsy DeVos removing restrictions on students rights and modifying many things that are crucial for students. She has a very bad rep from what I've been seeing lately.

You need to pay a little more attention to the news, because the crackdown on for-profit schools took place during the Obama presidency.

You need to pay a little more attention to the news, because the crackdown on for-profit schools took place during the Obama presidency.

I just got scolded by Aunt Slappy lmao Your comment and profile picture are a perfect pair. This was awesome. I don't know when ITT and Harrison college were closed down. OP is just now realizing it. That would make sense because Barack was very concerned about people's rights (Net neutrality, healthcare, student loan education, etc).

Aren't there any community colleges in Indiana?

Yes! We have an excellent state-wide community college system (Ivy Tech Community College) which produces 40% of the new RNs in Indiana. Quality program. Excellent NCLEX pass rates. They encourage their grads to continue on for higher degrees. Campuses all over (25+).

But the appeal of the for-profits is the ease at which one can be admitted and separated from their money. We see this every day here at AN - and I hate it.

+ Add a Comment