Misuse of the ER

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I work in a small rural hospital, where we deal with all areas, and the number of non-emergent ER visits I see is really making me hate my job! The other day, the Dr's clinic nurse informed me at 10:30 am that there would be a patient coming to the ER at 1:00 pm. This patient had fallen 3 days prior and had been suffering hip pain since. When I asked why the patient couldnt come now if it was an emergency, I was told that she did not have a ride until 1:00 and she did not want to call the ambulance. I then protested that if it were an emergency, she would come immediately rather than scheduling an ER appointment (i guess that's a thing?!?!?), and if it could wait then she could be seen in the clinic. The clinic nurse explained that it needed to be done in the ER because the Dr wanted the patient to be lying down for her assessment (LOLOLOL). I ended the call, then went and informed my DON of this, who found it as ridiculous as I did, and went to talk to the Dr. Upon returning, she stated that the patient was coming to the ER at 1:00 because she had told the Dr she did not want to be seen in the clinic due to her insurance coverage. Please share your thoughts on this, I see this sort of thing all the time and am just wondering if this happens anywhere else.

Specializes in ED.

It can be super frustrating, but I can see why she didn't call an ambulance. My ambulance ride, that lasted ten minutes where the EMT took my vitals once and that was all he did, was $600. Thank god for good insurance, I fought against going by ambulance but wasn't given a choice.

Specializes in kids.
If someone has Medicare Part A as their primary insurance, Medicare will pay for skilled nursing facility (SNF) care (with some copays) after the pt has a 3 day inpatient (IP) stay. If a pt is admitted with a broken hip, the will almost certainly have a 3 day hospital stay, and they will qualify for SNF care with Medicare. There are some instances, however, where a pt may not qualify for an IP hospital stay (say, difficulty ambulating with no other obvious medical issues). To qualify for SNF care, that pt would have to be admitted IP (not observation) for 3 days before Medicare would pay for a SNF. I have heard of situations where a person is admitted, even if they don't meet IP criteria, so that Medicare will pay for a SNF. Even though the person actually does need skilled nursing, this would be fraudulent based on the rules the government has established. For individuals with a Medicare Part C plan, rules are different, and the insurance company managing the pt's Medicare can authorize SNF care even with no IP stay.

But they will do everything they can to make it an "observational" stay so they (the Hospital) does not dinged when the patient returns soon after discharge,. Fought that battle with my my mom last year. Had a CVA, and I read every one of the 500 pages of her "Observation". She ended up paying out of pocket for 6 weeks in a rehab because it was not a "Medicare approved" stay....at least the therapy was picked up at 80%

It's not just small hospitals that get non-emergent things. We have "i need a pregnancy test, I threw up once six hours ago, I didn't have a BM today, I fell down and nothing hurts but I thought it should get checked out, and other things that really don't need an emergency evaluation at midnight.

+ Add a Comment