Vitamins

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am trying to figure out why we never hear about more than 8 B vitamins. There are more, we just don't hear of them.

Also, why no mention of Vit F or Vit G or Vit H, I, J, L, M, etc.

there is a vit P4.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

The famous ones have better PR reps

Also, why no mention of Vit F or Vit G or Vit H, I, J, L, M, etc.

I would recommend that you revisit the list... several of these vitamins do in fact go by different names and are still recommended. Vitamin G is an obsolete name for riboflavin (now B2). H was the original name for biotin (now B7). M is an obsolete name for folic acid (B9). Substances formerly referred to as vitamins L (anthranilic acid), N (thioctic or alpha-lipoic acid), O (carnitine), and P (flavonoids) are examples of nutrients that do not meet the modern definition of a vitamin.

I would recommend that you revisit the list... several of these vitamins do in fact go by different names and are still recommended. Vitamin G is an obsolete name for riboflavin (now B2). H was the original name for biotin (now B7). M is an obsolete name for folic acid (B9). Substances formerly referred to as vitamins L (anthranilic acid), N (thioctic or alpha-lipoic acid), O (carnitine), and P (flavonoids) are examples of nutrients that do not meet the modern definition of a vitamin.

Thank you. I have never seen this information before. By any chance, do you know of a reference or 2.

Thanks again.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Try googling the names of the vitamins and you can find information about them. I don't think all the information is available in one succinct place.

+ Add a Comment