Midwife vs. NNP

Specialties NICU

Published

Hi, I'm a CNA starting nursing school next year! I plan to eventually get my master's degree but I'm torn between Midwifery and being a Neonatal Nurse Practioner. I love infants and I know I;d be very invested in my job but I'm also really interested in midwifery, I get I wouldn't work with babies as much but more pregnant women and prenatal care but I'd still handle babies somewhat when delivering and women's health is important. I also heard midwifes get a band 6, so do they get paid more than NNPs? I don't know what to do, I know I have enough time to figure it out but I really like to plan ahead and stick to it. Any thoughts?

I mean all infants and I realize NNPs work more with critically ill infants more than the well ones. If I wanted to work with just well Infants I wouldn't be considering becoming an NNP. I get there's a difference between delivering healthy babies and Taking care of ill premature babies with complications and I know midwives do way more than just deliver babies and there can still be complications in the delivery room. I really just want to know your guys thought on pros and cons of each one really.

Specializes in NICU.
I mean all infants and I realize NNPs work more with critically ill infants more than the well ones. If I wanted to work with just well Infants I wouldn't be considering becoming an NNP. I get there's a difference between delivering healthy babies and Taking care of ill premature babies with complications and I know midwives do way more than just deliver babies and there can still be complications in the delivery room. I really just want to know your guys thought on pros and cons of each one really.

Okay then.

How can we speak to pros and cons without knowing anything about you or your experience or preferences? Both roles involve babies. One involves adult females as well. One is more in line with the medical model of care and number-crunching instead of spending a lot of time at the bedside. Both involve advanced education which, as I've said, you may find you have no interest in once you've actually experienced what it's like to work as a nurse. My advice to you still stands, which is to take it a day at a time. You may get halfway through school and discover a completely unexpected passion for psych or something. You're really putting the cart before the horse here.

Specializes in Retired NICU.

One thing to consider is job availability. Here in the US, at least in the part of California I live in, there are many more positions for CNM's than NNP's. So you might want to think about areas that you would like to live in, or are willing to live in and which type of work would be more likely available for you to get a job in.

Specializes in NICU.
One thing to consider is job availability. Here in the US, at least in the part of California I live in, there are many more positions for CNM's than NNP's. So you might want to think about areas that you would like to live in, or are willing to live in and which type of work would be more likely available for you to get a job in.

That's interesting because there is a shortage of NNPs and many places can't get enough of them due to the aging NNP workforce and resident hours being cut in NICUs. OP I would say that you will need to be able to live in or commute to a city but you should have no problems getting a NNP job. You may not get your first pick of cities, but with experience you shouldn't have too much problem...

Specializes in Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.

I'll second this. I thought at first that jobs were limited but after searching and keeping track, I've learned a couple things. I was wrong. There are plenty of jobs for all of us in school now. There are a limited number of schools who are graduating very few of us each year.

NNP jobs are mostly clustered in and around midsized cities and larger. Any posting often represents more than one opening. They are not getting filled quickly. The postings stay open for months and sometimes over a year. If you are willing to move, there's no reason why you won't come out of school with a higher salary for NPs (psych still seems to be making a little more), loan repayment (if your hospital didn't recruit you with a scholarship), relocation, and bonuses.

+ Add a Comment