Nurse Executives

Nurses Career Support

Published

1. Are you interested in working as an executive nurse?

• Yes, I am interested
    • No, I am not interested

50 members have participated

I like to browse job openings at local hospitals to see whats out there regularly. I find it odd that there are ALWAYS job openings for upper management nursing positions. It makes me wonder if there are not many nurses that are interested in working at the executive level. I'd like to do a poll, just wondering about nurses that are interested in eventually moving into executive roles.

Specializes in retired LTC.
Yep. At my facility up until vice president level you're in the same union, basically. Aids, secretaries, respiratory therapists are in a different union but every nurse is in the same one. It's a bizarre setup.

Is this a Civil Service position?

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
What's the average salary for nurse managers or unit director? I know it varies by region of course but am curious of a ballpark figure.

I have considered the idea of eventually going the management route.

Ballpark - 90-130k

Ballpark - 90-130k

That's a pretty good gig. Do most require a MSN, or BSN?

Most of them say "BSN required, MSN preferred"

Specializes in Oncology.

Double post

Specializes in Oncology.
Is this a Civil Service position?

How did you guess? 😂

That's a pretty good gig. Do most require a MSN, or BSN?

When you actually break it down to hourly wage, it is usually equivalent (or slightly less) than what many/most floor nurses make at the same facility. Because you don't just work 36 hours a week. 24/7 responsibility means that when they call you at 2 am because they're swamped and have exhausted all other resources, you have to come in. And you don't get paid extra or overtime for doing so.

I never work less than 50 hours/week, and sometimes work 60+. Not trying to sound like a martyr. It's what I signed up for, and I know that if I decide I no longer want to work 50-60 hours/week, I can easily find a different job.

I never work less than 50 hours/week, and sometimes work 60+. Not trying to sound like a martyr. It's what I signed up for, and I know that if I decide I no longer want to work 50-60 hours/week, I can easily find a different job.

Sounds like being in management may not be as great as it sounds. That is a ton of working hours. Especially with monetary equivalency to floor nursing. Would you say there are more or less politics compared to being a staff nurse?

Sounds like being in management may not be as great as it sounds. That is a ton of working hours. Especially with monetary equivalency to floor nursing. Would you say there are more or less politics compared to being a staff nurse?

Oh, G-d, WAY more. WAY more. To the point where I'm thinking, "Wait, there were politics in floor nursing??"

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Being in middle management, I know for a fact, this won't be for me. Middle management is thankless, so often. They want me to please everyone and let me know when I'm not doing enough. I have to do a lot of self-talk to keep myself encouraged. Between covering the floor (we are short two FTE) and doing all my managerial duties, I work an easy 50 plus hours a week.

Being an exec won't improve my lot.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

When I was young, Nurse Executive was a goal for me. But as I got more experience, I realized it was not a good fit for me. I prefer Nursing Professional Development.

Specializes in NICU.

I can not say I was unhappy to see most of them leave.

+ Add a Comment